Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Lines!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lazy, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Whenever I play along with a record, I end up playing the same old root based lines with the odd fifth or octave thrown in and it just sounds so stale and lame! But when I practice without a cd, I can play some flashier stuff! The point is, I'd like to be able to jam with friends and play some decent lines instead of the same old crap I play at home along to cd's. Please help me!!!

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It sounds like you're playing the lines that are on the CDs, which are less interesting than you'd like to play. If that's the case, listen to stuff with more interesting basslines. You don't give much clue as to what you listen to, but there are plenty of interesting bass players out there - band like Primus, Blues Traveler, RHCP, Phish, etc, etc, etc...

The bottom line is listen to the type of bassists you'd like to be.

3. And if you're like me, and what (at least IMO) all bassists should, aspire to be a groovy bassist, then be prepared to have a very large, ever-growing CD collection...
    :D

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    some of the covers ive been learning for a top-40/pop band I recently got in, have less than impressive bass lines....what i do on songs like those is, outline the root motion, then create my own line based on the progression. while keeping the whole vibe of the song the same somehow.

5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Blues Traveler has some excellect bass, very underapreciated. CRASH BURN!!!

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    So does dave mathews band! Listen and play along with steffan because he uses some very tasty licks!