good listening rec's?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Classical_Thump, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I have played in orchestras for a couple years, but never really listened to a lot of classical. Now, I am beginning to listen to some, and I am looking for some suggestions. I like captivating and exciting (not necessarily fast) music. Some of my favorites are the Rite of Spring, Beethoven's Symphonies (1st is my fav), Mussorgsky's Bear mt., etc. Basically I am just a new fan of classical looking for some good pieces/recordings to check out. thanks
  2. Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Tchaikovsky's symphonies #4, 5, and 6 are incredible works, especially the recordings with Evgeny Mravinsky conducting. Henri Dutilleaux's orchestral works are amazing (symphonies #1 and 2). Eugene Ormandy and Leopold Stokowki's Bach transcriptions for Orchestra are also mind blowingly good...
  3. Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    What I do is when I find a piece of music that I really like, I try to find different versions of that piece. It's nice to hear other interpretations.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I don't know where you are (filling in your profile will allow people to assist you much easier) but a lot of bargain stores often have used vinyl's on for sale. For some reason, the Value Village chain always seems to have really good classical stuff in their used records section. You can't go wrong at those prices.
  5. Beto

Aug 1, 2005
    Costa Rica
    In the last years I have tried to obtain of quite regarding classic music,For what I have devoted myself to the task of speaking with musicians of great level in my country (Costa Rica), for what I can give you a few advices:

-Search for good preformers, in order that this way you can enjoy better the work, because of the interpretations, look for the great conductors such like Herbert von Karajan, Leonard Bernstein (the best fo me), Chelibedache, Stokowski, Hans von Bullow, Zubin Metha, James Levine, Otto Klemperer, George Szell, Arturo Toscanini, Perre Boulez, Claudio Abbado, Seiji Ozawa, Andre Previn, and many others. Search for orchestras like, Chicago Symphony, Dallas Symphony, L.A., NY Philarmonic, Vienna Philarmonic (The greatest for me), Berlin Philarmonic, Cleveland ORchestra, Symphony of the Air. etc. If is a chamber or a soloist try to ask to someone that plays the instrument to see if it is a great preformer, like Rostropovich (cello), Gallway(flute), Maria Joao Pires(piano), Hillary Hann (violin), Gary Karr(OF COURSE), Yehudi Mehumin(Violin), Gil Shaham(violin), Joshua Bell (violin), Yo-yo ma(cello), Rubinstein, Isac Stern (violin) and many many others.
    The best label for me, is Deutsche Grammophone, it always has this preformers.
    Try to see wich of this preformers are better to interpretate the piece of the composer. For example, I think and many of my colegues like Mahler's Symphonies with the Vienna Philarmonic and Leonard Bernstein; for Chopin, I love Arthur Rubinstein.

-For the Symphonic Repertoire i think almost everytinh is cool, but there are many pieces that makes the diference.
    Mahler's Symphonys(all 10), Beethoven's symphonies, Haydn Symphonies (the last ones, london symphonies), Stravinski's Rite of spring, Firebird, Pulchinella, Petroushka, Oedupus Rex,
    Rachmaninoff Symphony #2, Samuel Barber's Adagio for strings (this is really amazing), Mussorsgky, Pixtures at an exibition; Shostakovich Symphonies (The coolest ones), Prokopiev Symphonies; Tchaikovsi Symphony's 4,5,6, and the piano concerto and the violin concerto, and llok forward for other many things, there's a lot of music. Look for debussy and chopin piano music; bach (everything). Schubert chamber music is really amazing.

I hope that this help you..
  6. Brahms' Symphony no.2, Gorecki's Symphony no.3, and Mozart's Requiem are all ludicrously good and quite tonal and pleasant to listen to. I really like Rautavaraa's Cantus Arcticus (concerto for birds and orchestra) and Berg's violin concerto as well, if you fancy something in a slightly more adventurous vein:)
  7. Find yourself the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra recording of R. Strauss's tone poems...Ein Heldenleiben, Don Juan, and Till Eugenspiegel are absolutely WONDERFUL!