Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good looking singlecuts...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L-1329, Dec 7, 2004.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    So I'm thinking that I like the idea of a singlecut bass. While all the ones I've seen here are amazing basses, a lot of them seem to me to be fairly disproportunate. How about some pics of your favorite singlecut basses and shapes? I'm hoping that by the time my wallet says I can go for one, which will be a long time, I'll have an idea of what to get. Let's see 'em!

2. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I usually don't like single cuts, but here's a cool looking one.

3. Juan Ortiz Jr.

Juan Ortiz Jr.

Jul 23, 2004
  4. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I really like singlecuts, but that one up there... it makes me hate it with passion...but,

it sure sounds better than my bass. :crying:

5. I kinda like mine...

6. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    :bag:

Bought it as a fun backup..

Øyvind.

Attached Files:

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm not fond of the singlecut shape at all, but one that I absolutely love is the Benavente "B" shape singlecut. http://www.benaventeguitars.com/images/products/SCB.jpg

I think that looks totally sleek and racy. Sleek and racy are usually not terms I use when describing most singlecuts, but this shape is very sleek and racy. I normally don't like singlecuts, but were I to get one, it would be a Benavente B-style.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Call me closed-mided, but I have never really cared for single cut basses.

9. Good looking singlecuts. Isnt that an oxymoron. :bassist:

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My personal bass, admittedly mostly a Fodera shape.

[​IMG]

And, here are Ray's new shapes, taken from Juan's site

[​IMG]

One of my other favorites.

[​IMG]

Though I would have to have the dual pup model.

I like Benaventes older shape, and Elricks older shape. Something about the e-volutions upper horn don't do it for me.

Plus, since there is a ton more coming out right now, its tough to keep track.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I like most singlecut shapes, barring the Fodera AJ model and that DP up there, but my favorites are:
    Benavente Singlecut B-shape
    [​IMG]
    Benavente Singlecut D-shape
    [​IMG]
    Elrick Classic Singlecut
    [​IMG]
    and the Elrick e-volution Singlecut
    [​IMG]

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I actually like the e-vo shape better-the lower horn aesthetically fits with the slightly more elongated body and control layout.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Far be it for me to be a nay-sayer, but if you remove the wood choices & finish, don't they all pretty much look the same?

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd never buy a singlecut myself, but the ones I like best are by Benevente (B design) and JP Basses.

Hmm... do T-birds and Explorers count? I like those too. :p

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like Ray's older shapes much better.

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Also check out Nordstrand, Fodera, Benavente, Eshenbaugh (sp.), Conklin, Elrick.... Many other builders out there!!

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Only as much as every double-cut bass looks the same after removing wood choices and finish. The singlecuts have a different curvature between most of the brands, and the lower horn is the same as any double-cut.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm not a big fan of single cuts....

my fav would be from Gretch
    [​IMG]

second fav the Benavente SC "A" series
    [​IMG]

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Actually I was looking at the two examples you had, and I like the E-volution better. Think I was backwards on that.