1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good low B string for a Sting Ray 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm usually a TI flats guy all the way. But the slinkys that came on my new Sting Ray 5 are really nice. Different, but nice. I swapped them out for TI flats, and while I love the sound on the G-D-A-E strings, the low B string is not as clear or pronounced as compated to the slinky B string. Any ideas? What's your favorite low B string on an SR 5?

2. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I've got D'addario XL mediums for EADG, but I like a tapered B better, so I've got a D'Addario slowwound B -- which they don't make anymore, tho you can still find em. I think the taper helps -- string seems to vibrate better... I know DR and GHS make taper cores, not sure who else does..

juststrings.com sells singles...

I like your idea of using a roundwound B w/ flats on the other 4 for a Stingray. Hope it works for you.

3. I think I have mine strung with DR Low Riders, 45 - 125. They feel a little tigheter than the Slinkys that came on it - as I tune down to G# D# G# C# F# it keeps things as articulate as possible. I am pretty sure they are not tapered, though... I think maybe DR Longnecks are?

Good luck!