Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good low B string for a Sting Ray 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm usually a TI Flats guy all the way. But the slinkys that came on my new Sting Ray 5 are really nice. Different, but nice. I swapped them out for TI flats, and while I love the sound on the G-D-A-E strings, the low B string is not as clear or pronounced as compated to the Slinky B string. Any ideas? What's your favorite low B string on an SR 5?

2. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I've got D'addario XL mediums for EADG, but I like a tapered B better, so I've got a D'Addario slowwound B -- which they don't make anymore, tho you can still find em. I think the taper helps -- string seems to vibrate better... I know DR and GHS make taper cores, not sure who else does..

juststrings.com sells singles...

I like your idea of using a roundwound B w/ flats on the other 4 for a Stingray. Hope it works for you.

3. I think I have mine strung with DR Low Riders, 45 - 125. They feel a little tigheter than the Slinkys that came on it - as I tune down to G# D# G# C# F# it keeps things as articulate as possible. I am pretty sure they are not tapered, though... I think maybe DR Longnecks are?

Good luck!