Good metal bands that don't drink blood or worship the devil?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Mar 14, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I love me some metal once in a while but I can do without the white makeup/black eyes/goats heads/dead babies etc. I listen to everything I can get my ears on. Ravi Shankar, Kaspar Brotzmann Massacre, Lana Del Rey. Everything. Just looking for some good kick ass metal without the theatrical dept.
    A friend turned me on to the group, Crash, today. Not bad. I liked Helmet in the 90's. The Crucified--excellent but bass not mixed in loud enough. Old Bad Brains stuff is classic. I'd like Slipknot much more without the drama. System--unusual but yes.
    So recommend current metal non-glam post-2010.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I would say the vast majority of them are not blood-drinking, devil-worshipping, failed high-school drama students. Just avoid black metal and you'll get away from most of it.

If you appreciate instrumentals, Animals As Leaders may appeal to you:
    Animals As Leaders - "CAFO" Prosthetic Records - YouTube

Meshuggah is a standard recommendation:
    MESHUGGAH - Do Not Look Down (LYRIC VIDEO) - YouTube

I'm not a fan myself, but Baroness has gotten some traction:
    BARONESS - "A Horse Called Golgotha" - YouTube

5. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Oh Sleeper

We Came as Romans

Demon Hunter

Evanescence

Flyleaf

^ All Christian Metal bands

I don't really know any non Christian Metal bands that don't have some as you call it "drama" that theathrichal over the top stuff is basically part of metal.

Maybe also check out - These non Christian Metal bands

Lacuna Coil

Megadeth (The System has Failed onwards)

Dio (He singed alot about fairies, dragons, knights, and stuff but, he is really good)

And maybe try

Stone Sour a hard rock Heavy Metal hybrid band of Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor who IMO are nearly better than Slipknot in terms of consistent heavy-ness. Slipknot you'll notice likes to change drastically on every release. Stone Sour however rocks balls out on everyone rarely changing things the next time around. Listen to Comewhatever may deluxe edition their best release ever imo.

6. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
  7. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    + 1 to animals as leaders.
    i'd recommend The human abstract. Digital veil is an excellent album. Between the buried and me is cool too (really great bass playing as well), but not everyone likes them. There's also mudvayne, periphery, opeth, and porcupine tree. PT isn't always 'metal', but they do have some heavier stuff.
    Just listing some of my favorites ATM. Hopefully you'll find one of them interesting.

8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Dillinger Escape Plan

Bands like this come once every 10 years.

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Major: What is this Metallica you speak of? I've neeeeverrrrr heard of themmmm. JK
    Hammerhead: I'm going to listen to all of these. Thanks.
    X...Pawn: Evanescence is Christian? Not looking for Christian bands, coincidentally The Crucified is Christian but either way they rip; just looking for solid metal no wax museum type stuff (i.e. is that for real). Slipknot would almost be one of my favorite bands; can't get past the not-music-stuff. Whatever.

Thanks for the info so far everyone.

I feel like I should mention No Age, and Parts & Labor "Fractured Skies" not metal bands but the energy is there. The distortion is there.

11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    YES +1

Some other goodies are
    Xerath (death djent)
    Mudvayne (old news but the bassist is a ßø$$)
    Cynic
    Obscura
    Absent Distance (instrumental band)
    Admiral Angry (meshuggah low tuning with weird song names)
    Soreption (my favorite, Deterioration Of Minds = mind rape)
    TesseracT (not really heavy but still good)
    Vildhjarta (odd metal band but catchy)
    Textures
    Soilwork
    Scar symmetry

Enjoy

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Cool will def check out this other stuff mentioned, eublet, cjmodulus, bassspades, hammerhead, + ugly. Danka.

13. seems like all the post/sludge/drone/stoner metal type bands are nothing like all that other cheesy blood/satanic crap. bands like the melvins, isis, mastodon, neurosis, jesu, earth, nadja and sleep would be a good start. also check out early 80's swans. it's incredibly heavy but not in a very traditional sense, and they don't have any of that cheesy imagery either..

14. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Mastodon seems to like concept albums, and lots of artwork. They also have a lot of "goofy, tongue in cheek stuff" on their online store for fans to order. I think they're just whimsical in a lot of ways, but they're great players and the music kills. By far one of the best metal acts out there IMO.

15. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
  16. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    NM
    Opeth, Obscura, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Symphony X, Redemption, Lamb of God.

17. Bassboard

Bassboard

Feb 21, 2012
    ...and rainbows...

18. scotlyn

scotlyn

Jan 23, 2012
    Definitely check out Between the Buried and Me if not for anything other than listening to their bass player. Dan is outstanding. I personally like a lot of their older music much more (The Silent Circus is a great album). Also, if you find that you like some of the more tech metal stuff I'd also recommend bands such as Necrophagist and Ion Dissonance.

I've recently been listening to a lot of Touche Amore who is a little more punk/hardcore influenced, but you may find you like them too.

Hope this helps!

19. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Black Goat Baby Whore Eater is the first that comes to mind.

20. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Sag Harbor, NY
    High On Fire. Three piece metal band led by Matt Pike formerly of Sleep. Great band. No baby goat heads.