Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Metal bands w/ Short Hair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is sort of is a spin off of the Sell out thread. I got thinking about good metal bands that had short hair and I was kind of at a loss.

At first I thought about Pig Destroyer, 2/3rds (or half if you count that synth guys that tours with them) have pretty short hair, but they're grindcore which I know some metalheads won't touch and has been plenty cross-pollinated with hardcore. So I don't think they really counted in this question.

Then I thought of Mastodon, who are also 1/2 short-haired. But I wondered if maybe it's hair-per-capita that makes a band metal. Like, do the long billowly locks and braided facial hair of one half of the band make up for the faux-Morrissey hair cuts of the other half?

Isis and Pelican both have one foot in the indie-doms of post-rock and shoegazing such ilk, so I wouldn't consider them serious contenders (though I do really enjoy Pelican).

Any other ideas?

edit: So I was checking out Southern Lord's website and I think Lair of the Minotaur might be one band. But I can't accurately say if they are metal enough, as I've only heard a couple of their songs.

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    anyone else notice that at the same time metallica began theyre suckitude that james cut his hair (or at least according to comparing load videos to cliff em all)? interesting...

3. Lair of the Minotaur are pretty metal.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    What about like prog metal? If you don't count Myung, DT has pretty short hair these days (Jordan Rudess has NO hair).

I'm at a loss for any other examples...

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    True, but they did have long hair for a long period of time, i.e., when they were building their fan base. Now they are pretty well established, and their musical output at this point, I would guess, is not the kind that will light people's hair on fire (not passing judgement, just an observation of when bands get old.)

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    System of a Down didn't have long hair for awhile. One member is even bald, the other balding. Now, the singer's hair is the longest I've ever seen in the band.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    [Broken record] Sleepytime Gorilla Museum all have short hair. Except for Carla Kildstedt's medium length hair. Granted they don't fit metal all that well.

Botch all had almost straight-edge haircuts at one point.

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Maybe he burned it off in that pyro accident and decided to leave it short... :bag:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was joking about the "cutting your hair" thing... but this is very strange.

Stranger yet... I'm growing my hair out! It's a matter of "it's easier to look cool on stage." If a bald/shorthair headbangs, it's nothing. They have to thrash to look "into it." A long hair guy can bob his head and it looks like he's thrashing.

It's all stupid anyway.

I'm stupid.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ladies and gentlemen... the artist formerly known as Stupid Matt.

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Some guys can pull it off and still be cool. My drummer and lead singer both have short hair. I'm working on growing mine back out.

In regards to heavy bands having short hair, I think it's all a grooming thing. Some of the bands here have guys with short hair, but how many of those bands have guys with short hair who wear it in a style that looks like it took them 3 hours to get it right? Mastodon looks like bums off the street. Metallica on the other hand-GQ. Then there are guys who are parts of metal history-scott ian of Anthrax and Kerry King of Slayer who both shaved their heads (for obvious reasons), but they're no less metal than they used to be. They still carry the image.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A foot and a half long billy goat beard will that. Ditto for a tribal tattoo going halfway up your skull. :D

13. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Mmmm, Limp Bizkit... although they don't qualify as either metal or good :D

14. There's no such thing man!!

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think Metallica continued to rock with Short Hair.:bassist:

16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  17. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Personally, I think bands with longer hair are better because their hair acts as a counterweight--they can put the energy they would normally use to hold their chin off their chest into writing better metal :bag:

18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dillinger Escape Plan. All but one anyway.

19. what about rammstein?
    [​IMG]
    They have short hair

20. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I can think of a couple...Burnt By the Sun, Into the Moat, Between the Buried and Me, Coalesce and Today is the Day. Just off the top...there's a bunch more.