Good metal bass lines?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Dec 24, 2003.

1. I dont really know where to post this so ill drop it here :)

for 6 months ive been playing in a metal coverband. We started out mainly with some metallica, megadeth and maiden stuff. the rest of the band gets a bit bored with it, they dont want to do more songs of them. we now do 3 tallica and 3 megadeth songs.

im no big metalhead, i hardly know good metal :)

and i dont like the way were going now (we now play carcass - rot n roll, it sucks, isnt any bass to speak of in it!).

so, anyone knows of any good metal songs that have a nice bassline in it, and is no metallica megadeth or ****ty nu-metal ;) (no offense to those who like it, i obviously dont).

i heard some good things about dream theater, anyone has song suggestions? i have a 5-string bass and been playing for 2 years now :)
  2. Iron Maiden. Go out and get all of it...especially Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave.

Check out some Suicidal Tendencies after they went metal (Lights...Camera...Revolution is a good one).

I like the first 2 or 3 Dio records too.
  3. Metropolis and pull me under by Dream Theatre. Some of their newer stuff John Myung his "C" string on his 6 string. His stuff is nuts though.

Nearly anything by iron maiden have good bass lines (Steve Harris Rulez :bassist: )

N.I.B. by Blacksabbeth is cool
    Voivod has cool lines

If u like Prog-rock u should play some Rush
  4. duh, I forgot the original metal bands

Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath

I'm not a big fan of Geezer's tone (Sabbath) but his lines are very well known...almost any rock jam session that you go to, either Paranoid, War Pigs, or Sweet Leaf is going to get called.
  5. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Suffocation albums Breeding the Spawn and Pierced From Within have got amazing basslines. Everybody should check them out. Guy called Chris Richards plays bass on those albums.

Maiden is also good, the best option for a beginner. I started with Iron Maiden.

Testament´s album The New Order also has good songs to learn.

But you have to start making your own songs so you can have sh*tloads of cool basslines!
  6. Iron Maiden( Duhh)

Dream Theater yes sir. Some good are: Home, metropolis pt1

DArk Tranquillity has some nice bassline. The best are from the albums skydance and uptill projector after that they changed bassists.

Good songs:

Punish my heaven(under all that fancy guitarwork is a great bassline
    Auctioned( this one might suit you)
    Crimson Winds.

The projector album might be the best for your band since it has a diffrent type of vocals than the others.
  7. check out some of Henry Rollins. It's like Heavy stuff that at first sounds like heavy metal/rock but draws in a lot of funk/jazz influnces which is why there are some good bass lines. Can't think of anything on the top of my head right now, check out the album Nice by Rollins, good lines on there
  8. BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    If you're looking for insane speeds than I'd suggest Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse. Alex is one of persoanly favorite bassist, you can actually go on the CCorpse forum and ask Alex any bass question you like (by shhh, don't tell anyone ;) ).

And like someone already said before me, John Myung from Dream Theater is a killer bassist. He's fast and deadly, kind of like that whole band I guess.

Pretty much anything from Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, or Master Of Puppets. Cliff was one of the most original bassist in metal, probably ever.
  9. Check out "The Sound of Perseverance" by Death. "The Flesh and the Power It Holds" is one of my fav songs to jam.

Its a heavy album, but being Death's last, its also one of the more progressive recordings they did. Good metal with good musicianship.

Also, even though its older, "The Sail of Charon" by The Scorpions is a great song - Testament also did a cover of it if you want to hear it a little heavier.
  10. Metallica - Cunning Stunts Bass/Guitar Doodle.

Metallica - My Friend Misery.
  11. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
  12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    check out Steve Di Giorgio's site, video's on which you can see his amazing technique. There is also a lesson on 3-finger technique, which comes quite in hand actually, I learned alot from it.
    Steve Harris is great too, but you already knew that.
    Robert Trujillo ( currently Metallica ) is great too, but I don't like him, and his basslines in Metallica are not that special...
    An interesting site and forum is Bassists of Death lots of mp3's, Marduk's BWar is great too, nice basslines and highspeed fingerpicking....
  13. Some of the metal I listen to which have good --> great bass lines include:

Cannibal Corpse
    Dream Theater
    Symphony X
  14. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    diamond head...lightning to the nations....hmm anything by M.O.D .... alice in chains? old slayer?
  15. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Go! right now and get "Rainbow rising" Ronnie James Dio on vocals, oh what the heck go get lots of Dio and Maiden too! There really is such an animal as GOOD heavy metal.
  16. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm not this rude usually, but forget what everyone else says and listen to me.

Dream Theater

John Myung is better than any other metal bassist that I've heard. Period. And I've heard Metallica, KoRn (pfff, give me a break), and Iron Maiden. Dream Theater just destroys them.

I'm sorry if I offend anybody.
  17. Open your mind up a little dude :)

Besides, there are plenty of hard core metal fans that wouldn't even consider DT as a metal band.

so neener neener on you :p
  18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    This kind of classifies as nu-metal, but Mudvayne is about as good as it gets for really cool technical bass lines. Ryan is one of the best bass players period even if it is nu-metalish. They have 3 albums out, but the 2nd and 3rd are their best efforts. I really like their 2nd album a lot, and I pretty much hate nu-metal.
  19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Rob didn't write or record any of the basslines on St. Anger, Bob Rock did.

Sorry, but it had to be said -- again.

20. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I just got my first Dream Theater CD (Awake) and I have to say that John Myung is awesome. So is everyone else in the band. I'm also a big Cliff Burton fan.