Good Mic for a B100R live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Should I just go with the SM57? I play four string only.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    According to the massive bottom end the Ampeg B-100R delivers, I'd rather suggest something like a Sennheiser e602. But that's just my opinion, from what I experienced.

Hope this helps,
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    AKG D112 kick mic.
  4. So I mic'd my B100R with a SM57 at practice last night and is was awsome!

I played my P-Bass and recorded from the PA head straight to tape.

The result on tape sounded better than the room sound. Very warm, smooth, & slightly overdriven sounding without the clankyness (fret noise) I was actually hearing live.

I think I'll try to gig this way soon.
  5. Audio Technica ATM25 is just the ticket.

Optimized specifically for bass response, kick and toms. Able to deal with high SPL without damage. Massively constructed, and available fairly regularly on eBay under $100.

I own three ATM25.
  6. Beyer M88 or the AKG D112

both killer mics with killer low-end pickup. personally i perfer the D112, but hey, that's just me! both are amazingly clear, crisp and clean both in the studio and live. you may find the M88 a bit over powering in the low mid region, depending on the style of music you play.

both are optimised to be used with low-end producing instruments, like bass guitars, kick drums and tom toms, unlike the SM57, which is generally used for micing guitar cabs. but hey, if it's the sound you want, use it! it's what sounds good to you that matters the most.

good luck,