Good mic for recording and live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I will be recording this weekend at my guitar players, dad's studio. He has a bunch of mics but I would really like to get my own just to have one in case I may need one in the future. We will be micing my Eden 410T as well as putting an 18 underneath and micing that. My question is what mic you would suggest that I can use in the studio as well as live. My guitar player’s dad suggested getting a kick drum mic because it is able to pick up the lower frequencies, but I'm really not knowledgeable in the drum mic area and was wondering what you guys thought. All suggestions are welcome, I'm looking at spending anywhere from $100-$150 on this. Thanks a bunch.
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My Eden Rig goes into the PA like this...

D112 Kickdrum mic on the 15
    SM94 Condenser on the 410
    Pre EQ DI from Eden head.

The D112 has great low end response etc. But I found it couldn't project the highs with enough clarity for me. Since I was playing a lot of funk at the time I required more mids than it could give me. The SM94 was an excellent addition to my FOH sound.

A D112 is around 200 dollars and I have no idea how much the 94 would be new. Probably somewhere around that as well.

I suggest going DI first and if you feel the need add a mic later. soundmen like you way more when you give them more control.
  3. Mic the cab when you need the tone produced by the cab. Use a DI when you want the full range/true sound of your bass, especially the bottom. The end result is usually a blend of the two tracks; mix to taste.

If you want a scooped response, use a D112 or Audix D6, as both are hyper scooped specifically for kick drum tracking. If you want fat and flat, look into an ATM25 or Audix D4. I own multiple ATM25 specifically for drums and electric bass tracking, and a D4 for toms and cabs. ATM25 are good stuff, plentiful on eBay, usually under $80. Several on eBay as of this writing.

Don't overlook close micing with omni mics. They provide far more accurate bass than cardioids. Omnis have no proximity boost at close distance, nor do they have the inherent bass rolloff at farther distances. Omnis hear everything around them, so very close micing is a must to minimize bleed.