Good, Mid-level 4-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bdengler, Dec 30, 2001.

1. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Before spending mega dollars for a "neck through", what's a good "mid-level" 4-string bass, something in the $500 to $1,000 range? I was thinking of a Fender Edge (Mexican version), but I'd appreciate any other thoughts. Thanks, and Happy New Year!
  2. Hey Brian,
    My favorite 4-string in the $500 to $1000 range is the Reverend Rumblefish. Great tone, great neck, lightweight, and tons of vibe. It's my main bass, and I recommend it without reservation. There are some other good choices, though.. the MTD Kingston 4-string is an excellent bass and costs less than the Reverend. And, Lakland is coming out with a Skyline 4-string soon. These days, with the amount of money you have, you can really get an excellent bass. Happy hunting!
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I agree with Dave that you can get a lot of bass for $500-$1000. Mint Stingrays and Sterlings show up all the time on ebay,, and in the $800 range. G&L L2000 is a great bass, and can usually be found in the $600 range. I am a proponent of finding nice used basses, and you can get just about anything you want in your price range besides exotics. There is a Peavey Cirrus at bassgear right now that looks pretty good. Warwicks fall in your range, as do most American Fenders. The new Skyline is getting rave reviews but there is a couple months wait now. Rics are usually under a grand. Good luck in your search, and let us know what you come up with.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My personal vote would be for a MusicMan Sterling, which is just above your price range (although claims to sell them for $980 shipped).

However, from your profile it appears you don't have a BG at the moment. May I suggest a Fender American Series Jazz? It's as versatile as you can get, and would be a great one-and-only BG.

Are you thinking a fretless because of your DB background?
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    snyderz posted while I was composing mine, and he brings up a good point - used will give you maximum bang for the buck!
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    If I had 1000 dollors to spend on a bass my next one would definatly be G&L L2000. And Dave, all due respect. I won a Rumble Fish on Ebay once and really didn't like it. It had very "unique tone" and the neck was the size of a tooth pick. I don't prefer wide necks, but this one was smaller than some guitar necks! I was lucky and the seller let me send it back for the cost of shipping. Just my opinion.
  7. Hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Everyone who's ever tried my Reverend has loved its playability and tone. And the Rumblefish neck is basically the same dimensions as a mid-60s Jazz bass. Way meatier than, say, a Geddy Lee Jazz or an Ibanez Soundgear.
  8. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hmm....never heard of a Fender Edge, I've heard of a Dean Edge.

Anyway, I would seriously consider a Lakland Skyline, but try and go play a bunch of basses in your price range to find out what sounds and feels good to you.
  9. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I agree --------- whole heartedly.
  10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Get a G&L.

LB-100, SB-1, SB-2, L-1000, L-1500, L-2000...

They all rock.

Get the one which suits you best.
  11. Yamaha TRB II without doubt.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Cirrus 4. Neckthru, choice of woods, great electronics. Deals for around/under a $1000 are not uncommon.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've seen pretty mint warwick streamer stage I 4 strings go for under a grand...

sterlings are very very cool.

for $1k you could build one bad mother of a warmoth bass, and it'd be exactly what you wanted.

14. If you don`t mind buying used you can pick up a like new condition mia Fender P.Got my `98 for 500.00 With a bit more you can get a like new mia
    Fender J. tons of really nice used/new instruments. great inventory of new/used basses/etc. will match any price.

Good luck.
  15. if you want neck through you cant go wrong with a Dean Edge select. a new one is right in your price range. they come with a wenge fingerboard, EMG pickups, Grover tuners and hand crafted in the Czech Republic but, I'd look at used stuff also.
    Dean Edge Select 4
  16. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice. The Dean Edge did catch my attention because of the features that the bass has for it's price. Happy New Year to all.