1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Mingus songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Mar 14, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Someone told me to check out Mingus, I got to hear him. Recommend me some good songs!

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

"Songs"...well this is Jazz man - not really songs as such...although Joni Mitchell turned Goodbye Porkpie Hat into a song - even adding lyrics to the Sax solo from the original album - Mingus Ah Um - which is a must-have album for any Jazz collection!

4. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    "Pithecanthropus Erectus" is a classic. I've also been quite fond of "The Fisherman's Wife Has Some Jive Ass Slippers" if only for the title. Prolly my favorite, though, is the first track to Ah, Um, "Git It In Yer Soul" if I recall correctly. I have one particularly fond memory of that song bouncing off the canyons at a dingy cafe in a very backwoods Moroccan town, sipping some awesome mint tea and smoking... Something.

Ah, Um is probably my favorite album, though Tijuana Nights is also good. They're all good, really,

5. What do you mean there are no songs in jazz?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well Mingus didn't write songs, as such...:eyebrow:

He wrote a few political rants however...:meh:

7. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Yeah for some live Mingus action (something I personally enjoy) check out Mingus in Wonderland, The great Concert of C M and although not "live" in terms of the words usual meaning but live in the studio, Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus is great with great song introductions by Mingus.
    Also Changes One and Two are good albums.

But as danomar said, they're all good.

edit: Oh you were asking for songs in particular. Those are albums with great songs.

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Live at Antibes!!!

9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Some favorite Mingus songs:

Gunslinging Bird (AKA "If Charlie Parker Was A Gunslinger There'd Be A Lot of Dead Copycats")
    Hog Callin' Blues
    Pithecanthropus Erectus
    Love Chant
    Portrait of Jackie
    What Love?
    All the Things You Could''ve Been By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother
    Oh Lord Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb On Me
    Fables of Faubus
    Goodbye Porkpie Hat

10. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    I have'nt really listened to jazz in a few years, but Changes One and Two are are my two favourites from Mingus. All those tunes are great.. Check out Free Cell Block F, Duke Ellington's Sound of Love (the vocal version, but the instrumental is great too) and Sue's Changes for some great upright ballad playing. He has many other great albums too.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Free Cell Block F...'tis Nazi USA" is one of my favourite Mingus tunes. That particualr group (Dannie Richmond, Don Pullen, George Adams, Jack Walrath) were happenin'.
    Check out the Changes 1 & Changes 2 albums...great tunes on both!

The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady is a nice piece of "Classical" Jazz....but you asked for tunes.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Bird Calls

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree with you 100%. I had only read down to Bruce's post when I decided to add my 2 cents.
    More-
    The Live At Montreux DVD by the Mingus "Changes" band is great.

14. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I just love the record "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady". Unbelievable!

15. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    Mingus one of my all time favs

get the CD's Ah Um, Mingus-Mingus Mingus, Mingus Dynasty & also get his solo Piano improv release from 1963, its stunning.

The horn arranging and playing kills me, Mingus was a real visionary, he had very specific ideas on how he wanted to orchestrate, its a way that not a lot of modern musicians think, many lessons to be learned from him.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm afraid that in the parlance of our time, "song" doesn't mean singing is involved, just a collection of sound I suppose.

17. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    "Haitian Fight Song" is my ultimate Mingus tune. The bass work is outstanding. My favorite version is on The Clown.

18. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've always liked "Isabel's Table Dance," "Moanin'," "Nostalgia In Times Square," and "For Harry Carney." :cool:

19. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry it does - a song involves singing, by definition!

Otherwise it is a tune, a piece, an opus,musical work,many things - but not a song!

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh no, I'm not saying you're not right, I'm just saying no one bothers to make that distinction anymore.