Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good music schools in the midwest?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by joeyjr, Sep 3, 2005.

1. joeyjr

joeyjr

Sep 3, 2005
    i'm new to this site so please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place.

I am currently a senior in high school and i am planiing on a carrer in music. my plan is to major in music education and then get my masters in performance so that way i will have something to fall back on if i don't make it on music alone. i live in the st.louis area and was wandering what are the good music schools around me. i don't mind going away but i would rather not go extremely far away to somwhere like juliard or anything. i play trumpet as well as bass and i guess my dream job would be to play bass in a symphony durring the day and jazz trumpet by night. i don't really know how possible it will be to do that but i want to try. and i know that in order to play in symphonies and make it as a professional you pretty much have to have the wright teachers. which brings me back to my original question. what are the really good music schools in the midwest?

2. Indiana and Rice Universities (which are in Bloomington, Indiana, and Houston, Texas, respectively). I'm your age, and plan to apply to both of these schools.

3. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    Hey, yay for choosing a career in music!
    Indiana University is a great school, especially for bass. I believe there are something like 80 bass majors currently?
    Also, oberlin is supposed to be good, Cleveland, cincinatti (spelling??), Michigan State and University of Michigan have great music programs. Northwestern I believe has a good one too. USC and UCLA (in Los Angeles) is a great school for bass, and the jazz program is pretty awesome too. Rice is highly, highly competitive, but if you're set on Texas, go for it! Also, I've heard good things about UNT. The east coast has an abundance of great schools too, and New York of course is the place to go for Jazz.
    You have a million choices.

4. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    If Rice is considered Mid-West then UNT in Denton would be also. Largest legit bass department in the US and arguably the best Jazz program in the country.

I personally would concider Mid-West:
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Northwestern

Go take some lessons with the prof's and see who you relate to best. You'll be living with them for 4 or more years.

Personal suggestion:
    Major in music, but minor in Computer Science. You have to eat and buy shoes for the children.

5. Heh. There's so many out-of-work computer geeks out here on the left coast that I can't take this suggestion seriously. If you're any good, music will always pay better than computers.

6. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    I kind of agree with Paul Cannon on that one BUT having a plan B is definately a good idae in any carreer in which the odds of getting a well paying job are low...Isn't it 12% of all music students who graduate actually get and stay in music after they graduate??
    This is a serious issue which everyone and anyone considering a music carreer must address.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Incorrect! I am a former freelance bassist. Check my profile. I am now a computer tech and make more money as well as having paid benefits. I have more opinions on this subject but I'm out of time right now.

8. joeyjr

joeyjr

Sep 3, 2005
    my plan B is education because i know that it is very hard and very competitive to make it as just a player. that is why i plan on getting my degree in music education and then master in performance. but i would like to give playing for a living a chance but i know that to get a job as a bassist you pretty much have to have the right teachers. i was just wondering where the right teachers were teaching at.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Do you want to teach in elementary or high schools or do you want to teach at the college level?

Many people will get a masters in education so that they can teach at the college level.

10. joeyjr

joeyjr

Sep 3, 2005
    EJ_DAD - which schools in illinois and indiana, and where is Northwestern?

11. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Good plan. Just make sure that you like to teach K-12 because that's what music education will prepare you for.

12. He was probably referring to Indiana University and Northwestern, which is in Chicago.

13. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I'm gonna say this until the day I die.

The point is not to pick a school. A lot of good music schools have sub-par bass departments and a lot of OK music schools have excellent bass departments. Two examples...
    Eastman-great, great music school. JD VanDermark? never heard one good thing about him.
    But
    Until last year one could have studied with Tim Cobb at SUNY Purchase.

But back to the issue at hand. Even though Paul Cannon is a moron , Indiana and Rice would be excellent. UNT has Jeff Bradatich, who is an excellent player and teacher. Also Volkon Ouhron (sp?), at Oregon is a great teacher (Reccomened by none other than Gary Karr).

BUUUUT, the best thing to do would be come to juilliard and study with Levinson.

14. Bitter, much? I appreciate how you so cleverly worked me into your signature, managing to subtly suggest my own ineptitude while granting the reader a glimpse into your...oh, wait a minute. That's just an insult. And here I thought you were smarter than that...

15. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Volkan Ohron is at the University of Iowa.

Not everyone would do well with Mr Levinson or any one teacher for that matter.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Indiana is the superior program out of this bunch.

17. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Although I think it is smart for you to recognize that performance is very hard to make a living with you will really, really want to have to teach to get your B.M.E. (degree in music edu.) I am attending Illinois Wesleyan University (I am bass performance) and the music education people have to have 36 credits to graduate. If you figure it out, that means you have to take an extra class one semester. In other words, it's a heck of a lot of work, so you better really like teaching.

(Also the state of Illinois is considering raising it to 37 credits)

I personally believe it is easier and perhaps somewhat smarter to minor/major in something else with performance. In the future companies/schools want to have someone who is ultimately commited to education, not someone who just wants a paycheck so he can perform later down the line.

---------------------------------
    As far as schools go, it really depends what you are looking for. If you just started playing and need lots of attention then it's much smarter to attened a liberal arts college, get the attention, and then enter a higher level conservatory like the ones being mentioned here. But, if you already have a well established technique and musical theory background, then a conservatory/more competitive school may be the best first choice.

18. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Forgot this in my last post, music is not just about that. Connections outside of universities and teachers is the most important thing also.

19. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Well since you where the chosen target of said insult, I though it would be best if I did so in a way that you could comprehend. In other words, short sentences of small words. However, I seem to have underestimated your grasp or the english language. Good job Paul, hook on phonics must really work.

Kidding, you're the man Paul. We should keep in touch, as to summer plans and audition stuff.

As far as picking a school goes, the most important thing is to find the guy that's right for YOU. Take some lessons, all the people we've been discussing are great. If you take a lesson with each of them (or as many as time and travel expenses permit), my money says you'll get a great deal out of every lesson, but you'll find one teacher that fits your style, then all you have to do is get in.

20. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005

I didn't see anyone mention DePaul University in Chicago, which has a music faculty of more than 100 and is well regarded. Closer to St. Louis is Eastern Illinois University, with a fine music school. A bit farther afield, though well-regarded for many years is the Morningside College Conservatory, in Iowa, which has produced many respected players for decades, and which is also a good place to obtain a BME.