1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good new-ish music to listen to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Jul 29, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    So, I love music, but it took a while for me to appreciate it a lot, so right now i'm stuck in a place where I have a good amount of band i listen to, but not enough to keep me interested for long, and I'm not sure where to start looking. So, the kind of things I like: I like medium-fast paced songs, especially if they're in a minor key, and I like it when the guitar is fast and continuous for the most part and, obviously, the bass should be good. None of these are rules, and obviously im open to any suggestions. I know a lot of 60s-70s music, so if its from that period i likely know the band, so im looking for newer music. Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Muse, and more are some of my favorite bands. Sorry for the long description, i tend to overdo the explaining a bit, but yeah, please suggest stuff, i need more music.

2. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    Trombone Shorty.

Animals as Leaders.

Red.

3. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Gave em a listen, all pretty good, Trombone shorty isn't really the kind of thing i would listen to normally, and the music was great in Animals as Leaders, but i like lyrics. I really like Red though, just the thing I was looking for, i hope people keep em coming

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
  5. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    This doesn't really fit into your description, but I'd like to suggest "Flying Colors." It's sort of a super group comprised of: Steve Morse and Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs), Neal Morse (Formally of Spock's Beard), Mike Portnoy (Formally of Dream Theater), and Casey McPherson.

Normally, super groups are quite disappointing to me. But this is by far my favorite album of 2012. It's not a bunch of musicians showing off their skillz. The songs are really good.

And you can get it at Best Buy.

6. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    I thought red would be the best bet there just due to looking at the music you like.

Hmmmm.... Type some of those artist into a pandora station. That would work pretty well I think.

Don't really know anyone way too similar to Red. Glad you like em.

7. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    I already am a fan of the raconteurs, i recently had a flashback to the song steady as she goes and ive been hooked ever since, and i also knew of Dead Weather. These bands are good, but i was looking for something more intense, these songs are more either slow paced or they sound like oldies almost. Sorry to be so picky

8. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Dead Sara

9. Lost Prophets.

My favorite current rock group.

10. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    Russian Circles
    Red Sparrowes
    Marriages
    Cave In

11. “Michigan's Genocya play raw and brutal metal worthy of their economically blasted home state. This is as up front and subtle as a Detroit Teamster confronting scabs on the picket line. The dudes purvey a sound that kind of wobbles between pure American death metal and more groove based thrash. Lemme put it this way, "Ever Descent" is a record that fans of both Malevolent Creation and Lamb of God can agree on. I hear traces of both those acts here, but also Slayer, Overkill, Skinless.”

http://www.reverbnation.com/genocya

12. 6fastforward9

6fastforward9

Jul 25, 2011
    Some of the best music out there, IMO:
    -Karnivool-

Tell me what you think about it!

13. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Locksley... Trust me.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    College Radio is your friend.

15. VOLBEAT are one band that's popped up pretty recently that I love!

Metal / Hard Rock.
    kind of like if Metallica and Johnny Cash had a baby band.

Still Counting:

16. +1,000,000

Saw them live in San Francisco with Between The Buried land Me and Tesseract last November. Best show i've ever been to, bar none. :bassist:

I would suggest:

Tesseract

He Is Legend

Faith No More

Diablo Swing Orchestra (wierd Metal, but I like it, something different)

The Dear Hunter

Pulse Ultra

Endo

17. dyack

dyack

Aug 11, 2009
    houston, TX
    Check out fighting gemini

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you in to power metal? My current ride has no iPod jack and a 6 disc changer so I have been revisiting some old CDs and been enjoying Galneryus "One for All - All for One" disc, it is from 2007 so I guess it is not that new now that I think about it...

I should mention they are Japanese and not everything is in english.

I have been enjoying Jolly, I don't think they are on a major label though, a TBer wanted me to tab a song of theirs, pretty tight current styled prog rock tuned to C. Cannot remember the name of their record for the life of me.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Here's a super cool cat that I just saw play in LA last Saturday night.

20. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Jan 4, 2012
    Very nice, normally, for some reason, i'm not a fan of women singers in rock bands, but i like it.