Good news about my Dad!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I haven't really had the time to give an update on how my Dad's doing until now. So, for those who are interested:

My Dad has woken up now! He understands what we're saying and can nod, shake his head, shrug, roll his eyes, raise his eyebrow and laugh. He can't talk yet because he has a tracheostomy tube in his throat, but when they change the tube to a different type to let him eat some yoghurt and/or pureed food he has been able to speak a little bit.

Hopefully when it comes out entirely (hopefully next week, because he's been swallowing all the yoghurt etc and none has been going in his lungs) he'll be able to talk properly, although apparently it will take a little while as he will have to get used to talking all over again due to the tracheostomy being in there for over 8 weeks now.

We can't tell the full extent of his brain damage yet, but from his reactions to what we've been saying, including recalling past events and showing him pictures of the rooms in our house, our dogs, friends etc it looks like it isn't too severe, as for the most part his memory seems pretty good, and he has been able to write his name, and my Mum's name, on a laptop we brought in for him. This is much better than what we'd originally hoped for, as we were told by three different doctors in the hospital that there was a one in a million chance of him waking up. So for him to be awake and alert is incredible.

Thanks to everyone who thought, prayed or did anything else that in any way could have helped my Dad, and thanks for your kind words on here.

2. Thats great news man!!, you're dad is a real fighter. My best wishes to you and your family.
  3. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    That is very good news man. When it looked grim he started pulling through and is doing better than expected. Good luck to you and your dad for his continuted getting better.
  4. I hope you and your family continue to get good news on your Dad's recovery. Best wishes, and you're in my prayers.
  5. I hope your dad recovers as well as possible.

Best wishes!
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

7. Very good news, Tom.

I'm happy for you and your family. :)

May your Dad recover fully.

8. I'm very happy to hear this, best of luck for you, him, and everyone involved! :)
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

I remember seeing your thread and reading the story online!

This is great news and I hope everything goes well!
  10. Fantastic news. My prayers are with your dad.
  11. Glad to hear this! I almost lost my Dad 18 months ago, after a problem following heart bypass surgery, and it was a week before he was able to know anyone was even there for him, let alone communicate.

Hope this situation continues to get better, Tom.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's excellent Tom! Great news, and best wishes for your Dad's continued speedy recovery.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Heya Tom............from across the pond, and then some....I say:

Congrat's!! That is some great news. Best wishes to you all as he continues to recover.

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Thanks guys, it really means a lot to me. :)
  15. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is really amazing, and very cool. I am glad to hear he is doing better! I hope he makes a great recovery. It'll be great when he can get out of the hospital eventually. We all hope for that.
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    hehe, i was going to ask you that in other threat... good thing you created this one:)

Sounds like good news... hope it will get better

17. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's very good news! I hope he continues to progress in his recovery.

god bless,