Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good noise gate?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by domestichatebas, Jan 5, 2005.

1. domestichatebas

domestichatebas

Nov 14, 2004
    I'm looking to get a rack mount noise gate, although I don't know what brand I should get. I'm new to noise gates and not sure which one would work best. I've seen a few that I like but they're compressors as well. My SVT4PRO head already has a compressor on it. What would be a decent rack mount noise gate for me to use?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Blitzr likes this.
  3. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    What do you want it for?

If you have noise that you are trying to get rid of, a "gate" won't really help. All a typical gate does is stop the flow of sound when it falls below a certain level. The moment any sound rises above that level, all sound is allowed through. So if you have some sort of hum or hiss sound you are trying to get rid of, a gate can make it go away when you are not playing anything. The moment you pluck a string, the gate opens up and the sound of our note comes through along with any other noise.

I'm starting to think that gates are not very useful for "musical" purposes unless you like a bit of a stacatto feel to your notes, e.g., you pluck it and the rise from no sound to a certain level is not heard (you change the natural attack of your instrument and style), then *bang* in comes your note and *bang* it goes away before it fully decays because the gate is choking it off. It's a sound and if you like it that is cool. So far, the best use of gates I'm aware of is for background vocal channels where you don't want any sound bleeding into the microphones when they are not in use.

Now, if your equipment is generating some noise or hiss as the signal progresses through the chain, you'll want some sort of noise suppressor. I haven't used many, but I did have a BOSS NS-2 for a while (that I think I wish I still had). You run your "best" signal (straight from your guitar?) into it then out to your effects then back through the pedal again then out to your amp. I think the idea is that it can compare your original signal to the processed signal and remove the bad stuff. There must be rack versions of that (and I'm starting to think I want one).

HTH...Millard

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    MXR has one that if I remember correctly focuses on certain selectable frequency ranges and was really effective.