Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 'non-musical' sounds (engines, etc)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Some sounds that send chills up your spine.... (must be non-musical, ok?)

For starters... when I hear a Ducati motorcycle (90 degree v-twin, preferrably with aftermarket exhaust) I get all steamy inside. Mmmmmmm good. Total ear candy.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Warren Johnson's 500 cube pro stock engine......

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The engine revving of a Harley.
    The moaning of a woman.

I stand by my choices! ;)

4. metal crowbars falling on a cement cellar floor.

5. The sound of a good storm (wind raging through the trees, rain, thunder, that kind of thing).

I remember being out in one, about 2:30am early last year, walking through a bit of forest..... OMG!! It was beautiful.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Rocks falling....and/or breaking against eachother.....that is a very satisfying sound

an interesting side-note I just thought of when I posted this. One of my bass idols is a man named Marshall Hawkins, he is the music director at Idyllwild arts academy, and bass instructor at the summer jazz camp(which I have attended 4 times) He has a total passion for music, such that I have never seen in anyone regarding anything(the kind that I'm sure Jaco had....when I think about it) he was also really big on how Nature and Music relate to eachother, and one day in bass masters class he started relating the sounds of various instruments to sounds in nature...when a student asked what he thought a bass was in nature he said "falling rocks"

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    F/A-18's and F-16's.

Also, the F350 Diesel I plow with at work -- it sounds different than any other of the same model (and its bone stock.)

8. non-musical sounds:confused: Instustrial sounds like a jackhammer or pipes banging are music to my ears..The coolest non-musical music I can think of right now was when I was living in Cincinnati just up the hill from a very large train/shipping yard depot. The endless sounds of the trains brakes and the banging of the trains starting and stopping was absolutely one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. I use to sit for hours up on the roof listing to this wonderful music/sounds...
    Check out these artist if you like this kind of stuff...John Cage, Brian Eno or Einstuerzende Neubauten. http://fusionanomaly.net/johncage.html cool site....or http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Styles/Experimental/Noise/Bands_and_Artist/
    Eno interview here..http://www.musicthoughts.com/t/60

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have a few personal favorites:

exhaust pipes being hit with a mallet.

radiator hoses being hit with a mallet

using a double bass bow on the edge of a wine glass.

musique concrete - think Pierre Shafer.:bag:

10. MMhmm... :D :D

I also like hearing the tides rolling on to the shore, leaves rustling in a breeze, and the sound of very light rain.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    wait a minute....Are you guys dreaming up fodder for the inside of a Valentines card ?;)

12. I saw Einstuerzende Neubauten back in 1987..they were amazing!!! Check out the Recording Studio Still lifes..http://www.neubauten.org/

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Fetch, That has my name written all over it ! I will have to get one of the cd's.

I LOVE that kind of thing. I do it a lot myself....

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The sounds of nature at night. Nocturnal bugs and critters that come out to sing.

Birds in the early morning.

Trains.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My favourite sound is the exhausat on my ZX-6R. Got a Wolf Carbon Race can on it - blip the throttle and it just sounds brilliant!:)

16. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    One sound that sends chills up my spine is the sound of a shotgun slide. Breaking glass is nice too. The sounds crowds make is something I enjoy.

A non-musical sound, it is a whole host of sounds really, I can't stand is the sounds people make when they eat. If I am eating with them it isn't a problem, but if I'm not it sends shivers of a bad kind down my spine.

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What is it about engines? :confused:

Any other guys here that don't see what's so great about the sound of a car or motorcycle engine?

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I have no idea why I like the sound of some engines(some sound terrible though!), it's just some of them sound real good to me - like my bike engine!

19. I like the sound of rain falling down in a tent.
    And my car's engine when it reaches the 6000 rpm just this mean "i'm gonna get you" growl, another is the yamaha dragstar 1.6 liter V twin with customised exhousts on low rpm thats how a low B should sound to me. "dum dum dum" lol ;)

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A cat purring, a can of coke/beer/ice tea opening on a hot day, clicking my bike shoes into their clipless pedals, snow underfoot, a slap shot. That's a good list of non-engine ones. For engines, F1 cars are great, as is a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine...