Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Octave Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beauville, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Beauville

Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm interested in getting an Octave Pedal for soloing and fuller sounds. I was wondering...

1) You CAN chose to go once octave up instead of one octave down, right?
    2) What's the best pedal? I was considering OC-2 because it's cheap and gets the job done.

Thanks!

2. The Akai Unibass is the only unit that I know of that will go one octave above your played note. Typically, Octaver units will play one note below. A few players here seem to like the Digitech Synth Wah pedal for its Octaver (I've never played one) and I think it's in the price range of the Boss unit.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1) not on the OC-2 (and most others). The OC-2 has octave 1, which is one octave below the plucked note and octave 2 which is 2 octaves below.

2) I prefer the sound of the OC-2 over better-tracking units such as the EBS Octabass.

There is a successor of the OC-2 out now, called OC-3, but I haven't checked out that one yet. I heard it's a battery-killer, since it's digital now.

4. I actually like the EH Poly Octave, good versitile pedal that is quite capible of fattening things up. I've owned the boss, it's a nice thick octave. I want to try their new one though.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Although not a polly octave pedal, my BP-200 octave effect sounds pretty sweet.

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The octaver on the BP50 is great also.I believe both of these are the same circuit that is in the Digitech BSW.Very clean and VERY good tracking.

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    There's an octaver on the Digitech synth wah? Sounds like another reason for me to buy it.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah,you just go to setting #5 which is OctaSubSynth and turn the Synth all the way off.You now have possibly the worlds best tracking Octave pedal:bassist:

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I think of it more as an octaver with extras than a synth pedal. The synth sounds are ok, but it really shines as an octaver.

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I have a couple of digitech questions:

Is there any way to adjust the blend between the sub octave and the regular signal?

Can it handle staccato playing?

I assume it's FET switching as opposed to true bypass?

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    1. yes, you can adjust the sub level
    2. never had any problems
    3. I'm certain it's not true bypass