1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good OD pedal vs. biamping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr. Circles, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Dr. Circles

Dr. Circles

Feb 19, 2003
    I've got a SVT-CL (used w/ 4x10s or 8x10s) and a Fender Twin (65 reissue) and would need to invest in a good pedal (which I don't mind doing). I've been having trouble getting a good OD sound. I don't want to hotplate my SVT all the time and replace the tubes constantly (with tube saturation OD) and I'd also like a clean sound on some of the stuff I play. I've read about biamping w/ a bass head clean and a guitar amp overdriven. Would it sound better to 1. Biamp, keeping the SVT clean and using a guitar OD pedal on the twin, effectively only overdriving the highs and keeping the lows clean or 2. Forget the Twin and get a good OD or clean boost for my SVT and using just that? In this case, would I better off with a clean boost or OD? Both?

Essentially, is it better to just overdrive the highs while the lows are clean through biamping or to OD the whole signal (keeping in mind that many pedals will cut out some of the low frequencies)?

Thanks!

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Honestly, I've always found biamping or dual amp setups far too complex, especially with many great overdrive pedals on the market that do not cut the lows. If that doesn't cover it, there are overdrive pedals with blends (like the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive) to retain all the clean signal you need.

I've done many writeups on the Homebrew Hematoma and BJF Blue Berry, in particular this thread which has all kinds of information.

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    As nad has already pointed out: the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive should do it for you.

Otherwise, just get a Barge Concepts VFB-2 (www.bargeconcepts.com) and use any overdrive you like the tone of.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1 on both the VFB2 and the sparkle drive. both rock. VFB2 lets you use any pedal you want and blend it into your clean signal, the sparkle is an awesome overdrive with a clean blend.

biamping would be the ideal way to go... i'd do it myself, if i had a roadie. there's also the task of finding a good balance between the two (or more) amps. but if you manage to do it well, nothing beats it.

5. Bi-amping invariably sounds better, but I personally cannot justify lugging around two amps to every gig I play just for a bit more low end out of an overdrive.

I have an Boss LS-2 which does the clean blend thing aswell (admitidly cheaper than Barge, and not true-bypass but I'm just not enough of a tone purist to shell out that kind of money for something that is essentially a tiny two-channel mixer).

I have my wah and overdrive in a loop to keep the clear there aswell. Works like a treat.

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Huh? LS-2 cheaper than the Barge VFB-2?

I find the price to be about the same. But I may also have been looking at the wrong places then ;)

7. I might be wrong, plus I got mine for about £20 second hand :)

EDIT: Actually doing some research it would probably cost me about £60-70 to get one here - not as much as I thought. I must have got consfused with another clean looper, sorry about that.

8. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    maybe you were thinking of the Xotic?

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/x_blender/index.html

9. Dr. Circles

Dr. Circles

Feb 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the tips guys!

Two more questions-

1. If I do decide to go the biamp route, what pedal should I get to OD the high freqs through the Twin?

2. If I were to get a Sparkle Drive, should I get it with the Keeley mod?

Thanks!

Also, add any more suggestions if you have them...

10. If you're willing to haul 2 amps it gives you a much more fleixble sound. I use that type of 2 amp set up in a rock trio and the gtr player describes the sound like surfing a big wave.
    BTW Bi-amping generally refers using a crossover to split the signal between highs and lows and sending each signal to seperate power amps and speaker cabs.

11. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

yeah..... you'd seemingly have to get some sort of crossover to acheive true biamping.

in lieu of that, you might consider getting an a/b box and a small mixer. one signal goes straight to the main amp, the other goes to the overdrive amp. with the mixer, you can eq the two signals if you want, and mix them together for a nice, evenly blended sound.