1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Ol' Interfaces That Hold Up?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tlite, Aug 11, 2020.

1. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    What 3+ year old audio interfaces are still solid even in today's fancy-schmancypants recording enviornments? Home --> Pro Studio grade.

What's good, overlooked, and/or every bit as good as newfangled whathoozits?

I shall contribute for discussion and oneupsmanship the M-Audio Profire 610, which (if the driver works with your machine) is pretty good (for my home studio uses anyway).

Works with Win 10, Cubase 9.5, Reaper, etc. No optical for I/O expansion, but... 6 in, 10 out, MIDI in/out, and capable of external effects loops. Not bad for something that came out in 2008... that you can buy now for like $50.

ProFire610-front.jpg
    Profire610-Back.jpg

The Mouse and Guild B301 like this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Presonus Firestudio Project. I bought mine used about 5 years ago and it has never let me down.

Standalone, tlite and Guild B301 like this.
  3. ESI U46XL German engineering at it’s best. 2D0AA385-3FDA-49D1-A46E-313BB256D059.jpeg D26D1EB4-7665-4C33-A05F-00F9141759DD.jpeg This has to be 7-8 years old and still will do just about everything.
    I use it with Windows, iOS, Cubase, ProTools, & Amplitube.
    Plus, I can hook up any old phono level audio sources like cassette machines, turntables, and CD players straight to a computer.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    wraub and tlite like this.
  4. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    RME Digi 9652. Made in 1999 and is still rock solid and as good or better than any current "prosumer" interface. Only works with 32bit Win 7, but great for live tracking.

byacey, dralionux and muddycreek like this.
  5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    One of my BLs has an older Presonius fireware I/F running off an ancient Windows laptop that has a firewire card - can you even buy a Windows laptop nowadays with a firewire I/F or that can take a Firewire card? His laptop's screen is pretty messed up and we fear it will go teats up soon :( .

tlite likes this.
  6. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    1999! That’s awesome.

dralionux likes this.
  7. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It was top of the line professional gear when it came out. More suited to out of the box mixing in which the computer is just for recording and editing, but all processing is done on analog gear.

tlite likes this.
  8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Line-6 UX interfaces first came out in 2005 and still being sold "New" today.
    It works also as a dongle for POD Farm which is actually a pretty good modeling app that doesn't seem too dated.

9. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    Focusrite Saffire Pro - I have a 40 and a 14, chained together for the big jobs, and just the Pro 14 for the small ones.

Seems that a lot of Firewire gear is still in good working order. To bad Firewire itself is no longer advanced. I can't get these units to work under Catalina with the TB2 -> FW800 adapter, so that's the end of the road for these beauties.

With that in mind, I would have to say that the MOTU Audio Express makes more sense. Firewire for the old Macs that I still use, and USB for everything newer. And, for any of the old analog tape people, it reads/writes SMPTE.

MOTU.com - Audio Express Overview

QweziRider and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  10. spantini

spantini

Jun 13, 2020
    Lakeland, FL USA
    I've been using my Tascam US-2x2 since 2016, I think they came out in 2015- not sure. This has been rock solid, even after a couple of drops on the floor. One problem is with drivers and Win 10 not getting along at times, but easily corrected. This never quits in the middle of anything.

tlite likes this.
  11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Anything by Metric Halo or Lynx with the "detached" AD section. You buy an interface and as technology marches forward, computers evolve, etc. you can contact the manufacturer and get a new AD that replaces your current one and keeps your interface working on into the next generation of tech. That's as future-proof as it gets.

tlite, Frank Tuesday and wraub like this.
  12. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's my RME, too. It just has digital inputs via SPDIF, AES, ADAT or SMUX.

13. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Ulterior motive disclosure- there's something to be said for going with the top of the line tech from 2-5 years ago as opposed to low to mid-level stuff being released now unless there's been a major technology change. Really cool to hear what people have found reliable.

Planning a new DAW PC build, and while the Profire 610 may stick around if it works with whatever gets built, I may need to snag something newer-ish. Hopeful though- while the Profire uses a 2013 driver and is no longer supported, it works on Win 10 for now... on my 12 year old PC (upgraded over the years, but still old).

14. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Funny, I have the first version of POD Farm but haven't used it in years. Huge fan of the POD 2.0 (which I think has the same models as the POD Farm), and the Bass POD (slightly less so than the guitar version, but it's useful). I gigged (as a guitarist) direct with the POD 2.0 and it worked great, never had an issue with FOH.

I'll need to revisit the Farm.

seamonkey likes this.
  15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    The biggest shortcoming I see with "vintage" audio interfaces is their connectivity and the deprecation of some types of connectors on some computers... USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt, etc etc.

My older devices just don't connect to my newer computers anymore - FireWire and Mac, I'm looking at you!

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Come on now, you know it has all settled out now. Those USB-C connectors are the standard for the rest of time. ;)
    USB-C.jpg

17. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I've been pretty happy with the scarlet line minus the solo. I sold the 2i2 I had when I moved and picked up a solo. Wish i kept the 2i2. I am planning on moving to an 18i8 pr similar.

18. I'm still running a old Motu 896 hd and its been a tank. I'd like to eventually go with something more recent tech usb c, better converters,and pre's ect. but it still does it's job and sounds great so it hasn't been a pressing need for now.

19. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I have two Thunderbolt Claretts (they were introduced 4-5 years ago, I believe). I dig them.
    they have Thunderbolt v1, but I'm using them via Thunderbolt 3-to-1 adapter both on modern Macs and PCs.

20. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Nice- was wondering about the use of adapters and how they work out with interfaces. I was looking at Firewire to USB adapters but word is they won't work- not enough power. That said if you have a spare PCI slot Firewire cards go for like $6 on eBay. Might be worth a try for some to give an older interface a new lease on life.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021