1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Omens - Prachett/Gaiman

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jimmy Bones, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Hey guys.

Just figured I'd recommend this book I got yesterday and just flat out couldn't put down.

Not gonna give any plot details or anything, but it's a fantasy/comedy that reads and feels like a Douglas Adams novel (Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Hitchhiker's Guide, Etc).

Highly recommend.

Not a lot of character development, and the story is VERY fast paced, but all in all, it's good and worth a read.

:)

(Meant to post this yesterday, but got totally uprooted and beaten down by the Nightmare remake thread.)

2. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read, and was the springboard for me getting into both Gaiman and Pratchett as separate writers.

"Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide. Two of these were wrong; Heaven is not in England, whatever certain poets may have thought, and angels are sexless unless they really want to make an effort."

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Their rather clever descriptions and backgrounds on each character are exactly the sort of one liners that make me giggle, and make my wife think I'm a nutter when doing said giggle.

4. Great, great, great, GREAT book.

:)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I did read it many years ago and really liked it - but since have come to feel that Gaiman's books are much more worthwhile and have more depth/substance. Whereas a lot of Pratchett's stuff gives the impression of being churned out quickly and is just for laughs - mostly just parodies of existing works.

Gaiman has the originality and thoughtfulness - whereas Pratchett is all about the punchline! ;)

6. I've liked ALL of Gaiman's books.

7. I'm inclined to agree with you. Pratchett has a sharp wit, to be sure, but Gaiman is the superior writer of the two.

In particular, his collections of short stories.

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    This book is coming up soon on my list and I'll probably be starting it in a couple of weeks.

Considering it is a quasi-parody of the film The Omen, should I see the movie first before I read the book? What do you all think?

9. Naw, it stands on its own. :)

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ok. I must check this out. This is the third time it's come into my periphery.

11. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    The comparison to the Omen is nominal, and only the subject matter is really the same.

12. My problem (if you could call it that) with anything Terry Pratchett does is I generally forget everything about his books after I've read them. I've read this along with maybe a dozen Discworld books and I cannot remember any of the plots of them. Some scenes stick out here and there, but nothing coherent. I've had the same issue with Gaiman, I've read the Sandman series and, besides the end and a couple of characters (mainly The Corinthian *shiver), its all a blur.

Not to slam either, I've thoroughly enjoyed both of their work. Terry Pratchett is an incredibly entertaining writer, I usually finish his books in a couple of days whereas with similar length books I would take at least two weeks.

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i love love love "the sandman," but my first and so far only entirely-prose gaiman experience was "american gods," which i did NOT like.

my roommate, however, loves "the anansi boys" by gaiman and everything by prachett, so chances are we both will be reading "good omens" soon.

...right now i'm reading "the sandman papers." looks like i'll need to get "the sandman companion," too.

14. A book which was pleasure to read.

Aziraphale: Colin Firth

Crowley: Hugh Grant

;)

15. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    A personal favorite of mine. I re-read it once in a while and always laugh just as much.