Good On-The-Road Bass Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistJ, Sep 20, 2002.

1. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Alright kiddies and kiddie-ettes, here's the scoop. My bands got an offer sitting on the table to do a tour as the opening band for an as-yet unnamed headliner across the West Coast. Yay for us. However, my fretted four (my main axe) is a fragile thing and I'm not real thrilled on the thought of taking it on the road with us.

SO the big question is what DO I take on the road with us? What I need is a solid-built bass, one that can take the miles and keep going. I don't care who makes it, I'm just looking for options in the $500-$1500 or so range.

Thanks a heap. :D
  2. zoran

May 10, 2002
  3. basses which are built like the proverbial !!

the ibanez ergodynes are probly pretty sturdy

4. zoran

May 10, 2002
    warwick, hmm i doubt
  5. Fender P or J. Probably the most reliable basses, work well in most any situation, and can take a serious beating.
  6. warwicks are really sturdy, all the streamers and thumbs i'v tried felt really strong and very capable of standing up to a rigourous tour!

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    If you're going to be giving it a bit of a beating in terms of hot/cold and humidity, it might be worth looking into something with a graphite neck. My Moduli have been all over the world with me and have never had to be set up at any point, never lose tuning on a gig, and sound amazing. You occasionally see Moduluses (not sure what the plural is meant to be...) on E-Bay within your price range...

Also check Zon and Status, or a fender with a replacement neck...

9. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Ibanez Ergodynes (The B's at least) are incredibly sturdy. Made out of luthite, so temperature won't affect it, and solid. Mine was dropped down a flight of stairs onto a concrete floor by one of my roomate's friends, and the only damage suffered was a broken tuning key and a few minor cosmetic scratches.

I got mine brand new for $525.
  10. Fender P or J. Works for practically everything.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Composite necks are the only way to fly on the road - like Steve said, they're not affected by temperature and humidity changes.

If you like a really bright tone, look into a used Modulus or Status, if you want a woodier tone a Zon. You should be able to find a used one in your price range (although you don't mention how many strings you require...).

Like Steve, I've been 'round the world (mebbe not as many times as he), and my Zon has always come out of the case exactly the way it left the house. Once, it went from 95F & 90%+ humidity in Orlando to 55F & 20% humidity in San Francisco in the course of a few hours. The guitarist's PRS went whacko and he had to mess with his setup when he got there - I just pulled my Z out and started playing, didn't even have to tune it.
  12. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Fender P or J
    Musicman Stingray or Sterling
    G&L L-2000, SB-2 or JB-2

Composite necked-basses will hold up superiorly well, but I don't like the sound or feel of any of them I've played... check em out and get whatever best suits you

- Dave
  13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Steinberger XL-2. This bass will survive a nuclear war. With the right strings and right rig, it can be very deep and warm, or bright and cutting.
  14. They can be had used for about $800. By the end of the tour, it will become your mail ax.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I say a fender or a Stingray would do you nicely.

reasons... well.. both are work horses.. they won't do you wrong.. they aren't so expensive that you will empty out your pockets for one. THEY BOTH SOUND GREAT! you really can't go wrong with either...

However, sometimes you have to look around for a good fender Jazz.. you will find some lemons.. but you will also find good sturdy basses..

I've never played a stingray that sounded or played poorly...

Also.. give G&L basses a look..

and why are your basses so fragile.. if those are the basses in which your tone comes from.. why don't you just invest in a really nice case???
  16. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    If you want to save your pennies, IIRC Peavey also makes at least one bass with a graphite neck. If you can't find anything with a graphite neck that fits your budget and your tastes, lots of instruments have graphite or steel reinforced necks and even that will make a difference as far neck stability.
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't have any facts to back me up, but common sense tells me that Fender has been around the world more times than Steinberger, Modulus, Status, Zon, and any other graphic bass, combined.
    Other things to consider while on the road:
    The Fender performs well with any style of music. Sound guys and repair men from around the world know how to work with Fenders. Spare parts are plentiful and easy to find most anywhere in the multiverse. Out on the road and need a bridge (or any other part)? With a Fender you most likely can go to the nearest music store and pick one up and/or have it installed; with a Steinberger (for example), most likely you will be out of luck. Fender, tried and true, I never leave home with out one.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

L 2000 ASAT or JB 2 thay can take alot of abuse
  19. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    You have me wondering--what makes your bass fragile and not able to withstand the road?

I'll agree about the Modulus comments. Toured with a quantum 5 for a while and the thing was perfect the whole time. That bass took a big fall that would have snapped a wooden bass' neck, but this thing didn't flinch.
    Why not just buy a road case for your bass? Even if it has to be custom made it would still be around $400 for a good one. I sent an outline and profile drawing of one of my basses and had an Anvil-style road case made for $350.