1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good options to power a Bergantino AE410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by was3funk, May 2, 2010.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    not a fan of this too... just an annoying setup (but much love for those that might like this sound).

the shuttle series sounds fantastic w/ the ae series. really liked the 6.0 i tried w/ my sadowsky. EQ on the amp melds beautifully w/ the voicing of the cab.

another one to think about is swr's headlite. one of my fav new ultralites out there, and given my great appreciation for the headlite's EQ section, wouldnt be hard to find a great sound w/ the ae cab.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    With all due respect here...I'm on the other side of the fence. I just L-O-V-E to tone of my M6 with my ae410. I even took my M6 to a local buddies gig so that he could play a set with my M6 into his ae410 and it sounded absolutely great. All I could think was thick, full, smokey and clear. This was with his Sadowsky Will Lee in a 3-piece cover band.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I definitely dig the M6 with an AE410 (and even more so with the AE210 thrown in!).

And for those of you who like the Shuttle 6.0 with this cab, the Shuttle 9.0 is even better, IME/IMHO. It fattens things up a bit, in addition to providing more headroom.

4. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I agree with a Mesa Fathom/M6 and Berg AE410 combo probably best combo I have used to date and that has been over many many years!

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    No adjustment for the upper mids?

Upper middy aggressive + upper middy aggressive = ?

Maybe one of the 'Voice' settings where it cuts frequencies?

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not really, no. But I play over the neck pickup, and I typically have a very full, meaty tone to start with. If I were a bridge pickup player, I can see where I'd have to make some adjustments.

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm not sure that with my setup that I get a mid aggresive tone or not. I have very little EQ adjustment going on on the M6 with the mids and treble at 12 o'clock and the bass at around 2 o'clock. I handle most of the EQ with my Sadowsky JJ bass with the blend in the middle.

It all seems to integrate quite well with the loud, overdriven Marshall Plexi that the guitarist uses. It just seems to mesh very well and I have enough power to bury that Marshall/4x12 rig if I wanted to.:D

8. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    +1 AE410 and GB Shuttle 9 is my current gig setup and it really works well, in fact it moves so much air it kept me from overheating on a 90+ degree outside gig and it didn't break a sweat :D

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  10. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Malmo, Sweden
    anyone on this forum tried/gigged this combo?

11. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    Seems like there is a lot of AE410 and all around knowledge in this forum… maybe you can help me. I am considering the AE410 (it’s been highly recommended to me) but I have a question about the 4 ohm rating… I would like to get the AE410 and use a nice 15” underneath it but, wouldn’t that bring the ohms down below what most amps can handle?
    many thanks

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, most likely you would be at the 2 ohm rating with the ae410 and a single 15".

Both of the Mesa's M6/M9 are rated for 2 ohm operation. Also the Aggie db750/751 would work. Also a few PA power amps will handle a 2 ohm load, but it's best to check the specs on those.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    EA iAmp Pro
    Thunderfunk TFB-750
    Carvin B2000

14. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks fellas... I appreciate the feedback... I wonder why Jim doesn't offer an 8ohm version..

15. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I'd use a Crown Macrotech 5000VZ because you don't want to under power your cabinet. :bag:

I second the plx1804 + "your fav pre."

16. The uber quality, high SPL AE410 with 500-700 watts pumping into it would be loud enough for the vast majority of gigs for the vast majority of players. Given that most who use these lighter weight neo cabs also use smaller micro type heads, the 4ohm impedance works very well for a large part of the target population. In order for him to offer an 8ohm version, he would have to create a different version of his OEM driver, and order a bunch of them. The economics probably don't warrant that, since the vast majority of those looking for a rather large cab (410) are going to be looking for a one cab solution.

IMO.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Any small-ish company has to try to minimize parts inventory to what is absolutely necessary to turn any kind of a profit.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Don't really understand why people like a combination of cabs like this, but I guess it's DSFDF.

19. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    all makes sense thanks... Lo-feq.. for me, I've found that using a combo of different size speakers seems to add more dimension/depth to the sound..