1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good or bad; Moog Minitaur

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mike Hosszu, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I am a guitar player who uses PK-6 Roland midi pedals to trigger bass lines when our bass player sings lead or plays keyboards (or both). I am looking for something very fat sounding, my current keyboard (Korg Kross) is okay but I was hoping for something REALLY fat to keep the bottom down. I am willing to spend the money if it will make a difference, let's face it, the bass sound frequently holds a song together.

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Unless you really wanted to splurge for a Taurus, the Minitaur is your next best option.

Bass Player Mag reviewed it: Review: Moog Minitaur

"Pros The easiest way to get the uniquely fat sound of Moog bass"

3. Thanks, I have tried quite a few synths lately and finally managed to hear a Moog (though not try it myself) at a live show and was impressed by how deep and thick it sounded. I want to try it out myself before I put my money on a Minitaur. I am hoping it works with my current rig given the midi connection. Thanks for the input.

4. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I don't own one, but I have a set of PK-5s, and have been looking into a simple synth to use them with (I've used a few different things in the past, all which had their own benefits and drawbacks). The Minitaur is definitely on the list. If you really just want it for synth bass stuff while playing guitar it should be more than adequate. I think the notes literally run out up top so it's not really suited to leads and things like that. So if that was a feature you wanted, there are other options that would work better. The Doepfer Dark Energy is another one I'm eyeing. And MFB has some interesting stuff (ie Nanozwerg, etc...). My particular target criteria are analog, 2+ oscillators, 2 envelopes, semi-modular (ie CV in/out, for more complex synthy stuff), and MIDI (for obvious reasons). And not crazy expensive. An Oberheim SEM reissue could also be an option (more on the expensive side, $900+ depending on which version, less used if you can find one). A Korg Minilog or Monolog might also work well for you. And if you were open to VA, maybe one of the Roland Boutiques, Novation Ultra/Minnova (also the Bass Station which IS analog), and many others could work. If you feel like the Minitaur has the sound and features you want and you can afford, there's no reason not to go for it.

5. Thanks for the input. I use the Korg Kross with the Roland PK-6 for many synth sounds while playing guitar and am happy with all of them except for some of the bass sounds, so I am looking just to beef up the low end and add some fat dedicated bass lines with another synth, quite possibly the Minitaur. Has anyone used the Minitaur with another synth using a midi connection, I want to keep my rig as versatile as possible and keep most of my present sounds.