Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DevinI, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    I learned to play Maxwell murder (by rancid) the full song including solo, ive been playing about a year it took a few hours is this good or do i still have a long ways to go?

2. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    There's always more to learn and experience. The best players in the world will readily tell you they have farther to go (assuming they are still in love with playing).

That being said, sounds like you're on the right track, for sure.

3. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    So you have learned an entire song and a bass solo within 1 year of playing? Sounds like you are doing great man, keep at it. Each time I learn something new it just goes to the back-burner and I am on trying to learn something new and more challenging. I always considered myself to not be very good, mainly because I don't play with others very much, but you will always be improving, if you realize it or not...

4. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i knew that you can always learn more, what i ment was does is this song hard to play, in my town not alot of bassist so no one really to compare too

5. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Like I said it's pretty good. I don't listen to that kind of music but I checked out a power tab version of it. There is no set standard for how good to be after a year, nor can anyone tell you how good should be after a year, everyone has their own level of progress. For example I am really slow.

6. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    being a good bassist doesnt just mean playing hard songs, u gotta be able to play technically well, get a good tone etc.
    Also learning covers straight is pretty easy (even stuff like primus isnt that hard to parrot), a good cover player will always bring something new to a song.

Ur probly doing great tho...

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Devin I: Just wondering if you play the solo with a pick or with your fingers... I can only do it with a pick no matter how hard I try. :( By the way, that's pretty cool for a year of playing, it's an awesome song. :)

~Graeme

8. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i can play the solo pretty fast with my fingers not as fast as the actually song with just my fingers though

9. seequeue

seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    I recently was working on the very same song, solo only though. Got it almost up to speed in 3-4 hours using fingers, but I have to clean it up some. Sounds like you're doing well, I had trouble with it and I tend to practice 2-5 hours a day

10. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I'm not familiar with the Rancid song, but congrats on learning it. Sounds like you're proud of yourself - good for you.

Just a note of caution:

For years I played bass, guitar and keyboard lines that I had figured out (in great detail!) from recordings. With pride I would play them, thinking that I sounded just like the recording.

Unfortunately, like numerous musicians, I lacked the ability to honestly assess my execution.

I wasn't executing well - sloppy timing, weak dynamics, missed notes, etc...

Becoming a better, more critical, self-listener has helped me to assess my playing more accurately. Maybe a heightened awareness of your actual (as opposed to intended) performance would help you.

Consider having a knowledgeable musician listen to your performance - he or she could probably tell you how you're doing.

I don't wish to put a negative spin on this - simply hope that maybe other musicians can benefit from my mistakes.

Anyway, good luck and keep working. Sounds like you're making progress.

11. That sounds pretty good to me. I've been playing 3 years and I've never even bothered to attempt that solo.

I agree with what CJK84 said though. It's funny, because in some ways I almost feel like I'm worse now then I was after playing for just a year. When I record things I notice tiny flaws that I never picked up on before. Even when I am just playing solid 8th notes I notice the minute difference in tone from when I pluck with my index and when I pluck with my middle finger...it drives me crazy, although I don't think anyone else even notices.
    There are several songs I learned a few years ago that I made recordings of. I thought it was pretty good at the time, but it is painful to listen to now.