Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Apr 4, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I'm thinking of getting myself a pbass, and im wodnering which is a good model to get. I've heard that some imitation pbasses are equal to fenders, but a fraction of the cost. Know of any like that?

~JB~

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

It all depends on what your budget is going to be...

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Sure, if the fraction you're talking about is $3,000,000/$1000 get a US Lakland Bob Glaub.

4. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

You can get good used P-Bass for around $500-600-700 usually from what I've seen in the local papers. You can check out the MIM Fender line, it's a P-Bass with some P/U's and some other components made possibly overseas (don't quote me on that one though). Go to your local GC and check one out.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Sounds to me like you may be looking for an Essex (SX) P-bass, according to your post. I'm not sure I'd call them equal to Fender, but they're useable, and definitely a fraction of the cost. Do a search for it.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you can find one, a used Japanese made Fender provides great bang for the buck -- at least if you're looking for a vintage P bass tone. I have a '94 I bought for $550 last year, and it totally captures the vintage P bass vibe.

For a little more, you could get a used American Series/Standard, which is also a solid bet. I think those are worth the extra $$$ over a new MIM model, but others will tell you otherwise.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Don't over look MIM's. Like anything else, you need to play and inspect them.

There are some very good ones that you can get for $300 or less.

I found one out of about twenty MIM's and MIA's and the MIM I got was the best out of the lot.

But, you have to check them out thoroughly first.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    $850---Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Right now I think that the best value in a P bass is the recent American Standard P's with the string-through bridges. They often have very tight construction, excellent necks, and run from $500 to $700 used. Mine was $550 and I can't see ever selling it. Being American made thay will hold their value, and increase in value.

10. If you only have about 400 or so to spend, look into an MIM. Although the quality isn't as nice as an American (usually), these things are still built pretty well and are extremely easy to modify and customize. I dropped in a pair of Seymour SB3 1/4 lbers, and added a badass bridge, and I love it.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Even if you have $400, I say go with the SX and spend the rest on maybe a setup, new pickups and strings - and it'll still come out much less than the Fender would.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm not sold on those sx or essex or whatever those are. i tried one, it just felt cheap.

if you are looking to buy a new instrument, you can find a mim fender p-bass at guitar center for under that.

if you dont mind having a used one, you can find a used mia fender p-bass for around thatprice. before i bought mine, i found one at a pawn shop around me in NJ for 450. i talked him down to 400, but then decided that i wanted to buy one new because i have very bad ocd. then i realized it doesnt matter if you buy it new or used, itll get scratches eventually.

13. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    You can get Squier Affinity's for like $175, new. A lot less used.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    G&L SB-1s and SB-2s. Far superior to Fender Ps, in my experience. Price varies, but usually somewhere around $500.

15. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    What Sundogue said. Get up close and personal with some MIM basses and you'll probably find one that plays well, sounds decent, and won't set you back a ton.

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hmm it sounds like the pbass i'll most liekly get will be a used american, lakaland bob glaub or a g&l sb-1 or 2...

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Any of those would be great, and much better than a new MIM bass. Keep an eye on the classifieds on this site ...

18. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Will do!

Thanks for all the help guys!

~JB~

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll put another vote in for recent American P-basses with string through bodies. Almost bought one until my vintage P fell into my lap. They're great basses.

You can find SWEET deals on Mexican P-basses. I paid $200 shipped for mine with a hardshell case and the bass was almost untouched. If you're going for a Mexican used, wait til you find a great deal. They sure do come around.

20. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I'm liking my used squier pbass. Compared to the low end used ibanezes and such I tried it was the best tone.