Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blong1, Aug 23, 2001.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    it is that time again and GAS has gotten the best of me. i want to get a good p bass without going over $500.00. i play mostly blues and funk, but i also need it to sound good with rock and roll as well. i need one with a good variety of tones. what do you all suggest that i be looking at? i'm open to just about anything. thanks for all your help.

2. I always thought that all Precision basses were pretty much the same. That is if you want the good old fashioned kind.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    look for japanese squier or japanese fender they are cheap. in altrnative look for old yamaha bb they are AWESOME!!
    see this

[​IMG]

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You might look for a used G&L SB-1 or SB-2. They're great.

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You should be able to find a nice, used USA Precision in that price range.

The previous owner of my '96 USA P-bass paid $450 for it used, in 2000 and it's in mint condition.

I've seen similar deals on bassgear.com, Harmony Central, and other classifieds...

6. aha! someone else has been to Mike Anthony's site.
    I like that Peavey Cirrus 5 that's on there this month.

www.madanthonycafe.com

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you are right!! the man has gor a lot of good basses and strange cars. it's an interesting site!;)

8. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN

The P-Bass Plus was made from 1990 to 1994.
    Both 2 P pickups and a J pickup. I own one and
    I think it's great and highly recommend it. You
    can get the P soound or a 'version' of the J
    sound - versatile. Important to point out that
    not all of these were Mexican made - mine says
    good 'ol MADE IN USA right on the headstock.

Scott

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've got a US Fender Hotrod P in the forsale section but it's a little above your range ($650).

You should be able to find a used US Precision for under $500 with patience, I'll second the recommendation for used G&L's SB-1 (single MFD P-style pickup), SB-2 (MFD P plus a J) and the LB100 (a more "vintage" single P pickup). If you look for G&L's watch out for some differences - the old, old original SB-1 had a different pickup (maybe a single coil like the original P?) and older SB-2s have 2 single coils (like a jazz bass) instead of a P-J config. A G&L L-1000 has a P vibe but I don't know if you can find one for under $500 any more (a year ago you could easily).

10. yep- I've got a 1992 Precision Bass plus, made in the USA, with a natural ash body.
    I didn't like the stock Lace Sensor p/ups so I put EMG Select PJ's in.
    I changed the fine tuner bridge (didn't understand the point of that...) for a Schaller 3D.
    I think all the Precision Plus basses were made in the USA- they're quite different basses to the Mexican Deluxe Special, as they have 22 frets and an extended upper horn and cutaways, as opposed to the standard P bass body on the Deluxe Special, or the current US hotrod P bass.