Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good P/J pickup set for a fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 25, 2004.

1. I am planning on buying a fretless bass with a P/J pickup combo. The body is alder and the fretboard is rosewood. What would be a good set of pickups for this bass?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What kinda music/sound do you want?

3. I'd like to have something versatile, but that would sit well with an acoustic jam.

4. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Barts are nice and smooth. I also have a fretless with EMG's in it and it bites really nice. Lindy Fralin's are supposed to be REAL NICE but I haven't heard them.

5. How do you think this would sound?

Alder body P with fretless maple fretboard
    Badass 2 bridge
    Bartolini P Pickup

Would that sit in well with a number of musical situations?

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    smooth. specially with taped strings.

7. So, maybe with some Fender black tapewounds?

I was thinking black body with White pearl pickguard.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My 2002 MIM jazz fretless is black. I took off the white pickguard, and replaced it with a Fender pearloid pickguard. I think you'll like that color combination.

If you are going to use flatwound strings, I would suggest a Carey Nordstrand P/J set. I have this on my Pbass Deluxe with TI jazz flats. My advice; spend the extra money, and get a NJ4SE hum cancelling pickup for the bridge position.

Now on my fretless jazz, I went with Dimarzio Model J's. The bass came from Fender with flats, but it wasn't the sound I wanted. I put on D'adarrio XL strings. I went with the Model J's, because Dimarzio's tone chart showed they had more of a mid range hump than the ultrajazz.
    I wanted a more modern sound, and I got it with this combination! Especially with the neck pickup soloed-it has a nasty growl!

As for a P/J setup;
    Vintage sound, go Nordstrand
    More modern sound, I suggest Dimarzio, or perhaps Bartolini's

Hope that helps! :hyper:

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    call up your Lindy Fralin dealer, and have them put together a PJ set w/ a hum cancelling j pickup. warm, smooth, vintage like, and would prolly best go with your music.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You can also get a set of Nordstrand pickups with a hum cancelling J bass pickup (I did!)

Jay Lewis is the man; www.blueberryhillbass.com

He's here as JPJ. Check it out.