1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good P + J Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jan 18, 2002.

1. I need help choosing some pickups for my Warmoth P + J bass. I want something that sounds big with good low mids. Not too much top end, just enough to give it some life. I need something that would fit my church gig well and still give me a good fingerstyle funk/blues sound.

How would Quarter Pounders do? Are they really modern sounding or can they give me that warm supporting sound?

2. Count,

I'm doing a Warmoth P/J as well. I decided on Lindy Fralin. I wanted a great vintage P tone and these were the highest recommended. They may not be for you, but the folks at Scottys were very helpful in recommending options for me. Here's the link:
    http://www.scottysguitarshop.com/new page.htm

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. What models are you getting? Whatever I get I want to make sure the P and J are a good match.

Thanks!

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    count, I wouldn't recommend the Quarter Pound based on your description. Either the Vintage or Hot will have a smoother top. The Quarter Pound is a little brash, IMO/IME. If you e-mail Basslines, they can recommend a matching set.

Jeff's pick, Lindy Fralin, are thought by many to be the best made Fender-type bass pickups available. I haven't tried them.

I recently got a Fender American Standard P, and I'm planning to leave the stock pup in. It's really very good.

5. I got the regular winding (not the + or - 5%) on mine on the recommendation of Scotty. He expected this to be the best match as well as meet my expectation.

Again, I'd give these guys a call - all they do is pickups. They were great help.

Jeff

6. Lindy Fralins aren't available for 5-strings. Bummer

[ edit ]

Anybody have any experience with EMG?