1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good P pickup to pair with DiMarzio DP145

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hi all -
    Finally carrying out the idea to do the DP145 neck pickup, in a P Bass, and splitting the signal with a TRS output.

What is a good pickup to pair with the DP145? The idea, of course, is to have the DP145 handle all the lows, and the P bass pickup to handle the rest, and then add distortion to that. I put Dimarzio DP122 Model Ps in almost everything I own - but would this be too much with the DP145? Should I look for something with even less low end? Or do a DP146 and a DP122 pair well?

Mostly playing overdriven rock with one guitarist. Usually with a P Bass that has a DP122 in it, but always looking for more low end to help fill things out a bit more.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m a bit confused...

The Will Power DP146 (middle) is a split P-Bass type pickup. The Will Power DP145 (neck) is a big rectangular pickup like the DP120 Model One.

If you’re going for a Billy Sheehan type set-up, I would use the two Will Power pickups, the DP145 & DP146, like Billy does.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Absolutely right! Sorry. Too many numbers to keep track of. Edited the title/post just to avoid more confusion.

I've had a hard time finding straight up comparisons on the two, but it kind of sounds like the DP146 is just a slightly beefed up DP122. Thanks! I'm jumping right in.

Slater likes this.