1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good partner for GK700-RB II head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jamco, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Jamco

Jamco

Jul 7, 2007
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good 4 by 10 cab partner for my Gallien Krueger 700- RB II head - any suggestions?

Cheers

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It would help to know what basses and music you play, but I've found the SWR Goliath III is an excellent match for the G-K head. It's punchy, efficient, and clear. The only downside is its weight, but it's not bad compared to other non-neo 4x10" cabs. And the dimensions are relatively schlep-friendly.

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    schroder 410R :bassist:

match made in (insert your favorite place here)

4. Jamco

Jamco

Jul 7, 2007
    I play punk, gunk, rock and sometimes jazz. I play a passive Fender jazz bass (although this may change to a Warwick soon). I would prefer a light 4 by 10 option but I don't want to spend too much.

I've having to scale down as I previously used an Ampeg stack, but a new band and new gig venues means a different rig

5. I've been looking at the SWR Goliath III too pair with my 1001rbII but am scared that it might be too scooped in the mids, the price is good though.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    light and not spend too much - Avatar B-401 neo is the obvious choice - if you're willing to go used and 80 lbs then Schroeder 410R - seems that most users feel that it put's out a whole lotta sound for just a 4x10 and being pretty efficient - will make the most of the 480 watts you have on tap.

I have one in a box that just arrived via Fedex - I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces this evening.

That other cab you might think about would be the Schroeder 21012 R.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Goliath does have a mid-scoop, but with the tweeter turned off and your EQ adjusted appropriately, it sounds great in situations calling for a more vintage tone. I think its reputation as a mid-scooped, purely modern sounding cab is a little exaggerated, because so much depends on the instrument, technique, etc. It won't grunt like an Ampeg, but it's still a great rock cab. Conrad Lozano of Los Lobos uses one (at least he did last I saw), which tells you all you need to know about its suitability for rootsy/vintage tone.

8. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm using a GK sbx410 with my GK700. It sounds great, decent size, biamps easily with head (although I don't find it all that useful). Price I paid new was about 300 if memory serves.

I highly recommend it.

9. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    +1 on the GK 410SBX. I'm using this with my 1001RB-II and it's fantastic.