Good passive bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 7, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about concentrating my bass guitar hunt on bass guitars with passive pickups. I haven't really liked the sounds of the active pickups.

I'm focusing on the Fender Am. Jazz Bass, in case you haven't seen my other posts.

Can anyone recommend other bass guitars that can match the performance of a jazz bass?

My budget is up to $2000 Cdn (~$1200 US), though I probably won't go that high...
  2. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    MTD Heir bass.
    passive and definitely worth checking out...
  3. You ought to check some of the Modulus basses.I own a vintage j with passive pick ups and electronics.It sounds great and is within your budget.
  4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Do yourself a favor, check out a Rickenbacker 4003.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Roscoe Beck V. Basically a passive Jazz V with a few bells and whistles.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a passive Jazz V and it sounds incredible. You can't do any better. I have recorded it direct and it sounds absolutely beautiful, just perfect direct.

You will NOT regret the purchase.
  7. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Im with philbiker I did a cd with mi mia J direct into the board and it sounded excelent, however in addition to te J5 if you went up to $2000 you might want to look into a MikeLull P/J 5 string. I also dont like active basses and as a five string player its either a J or RB5 or Mike Lull P5 all great basses. let us know what you wind up with. tony
  8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Wait until the Lakland Joe Osborne models come out in the Spring. You will be able to get a Jazz bass w/Lindy Fralin pickups and final set-up done by the Lakland guys here in Chicago and still have almost half your budget left over. They should be priced the same as the Fender Am.Std. series. Do a search for my threads on the topic here, or reviews at and/or
    Otherwise, I also would highly recommend the Fender '62 Reissue jazz bass. Again, you should be able to do a search of this site to find tons of comments on this bass, mine included. Also look in the pickup section, as I have replied to many questions about the pickups in this bass. This should also be under...or right at...your budget.
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got two MTD Beasts. One is a 4 and the other is a 5. These are great passive basses in my opinion but they are kind of hard to find. I'm sure that there are at least one or two here:

Access Bass

One of the Beasts would sound great and you would also have a few hundred left to spare. There are sound files on that site that will allow you to hear what the Beast sounds like. Check it out. ;)
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another vote for the Fender Roscoe Beck V.
  11. check out a G&L , the current "Real" Leo Fenders!
  12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Reverend Rumblefish! They sound like a Jazz bass on steroids! Seriously, if you're into passive basses you MUST try one of these.