Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good passive musicman humbucker for olp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Jan 23, 2006.

1. whats a decent passive humbucker to replace my olp standard? or is that a dumb question and i should just shell out for duncans with preamps e.t.c? HELP!!!

2. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines ROCKS! I've got FIVE SMB-5A and a SMB-5d and they DO sound so nice. My personal preference is, obviouly, the AlNiCo version. FWIW, only one of my basses (the SMB-5d ceramic magnet version) has the MM tone-circuit, the rest are straight out to a volume pot only (500Kohm). Good luck with your up-grade.

3. Hey, thurstygums, my little review is in your post on the luither section

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I've got two basses with Duncan MM pu's - an OLP with the Alnico version complete with 3-band active EQ, and an ash-bodied neck-through with the ceramic version. The Alnico is KILLER on the OLP. Of course you'll have to rout a cavity in the back for a 9-volt battery box. I marked off the location myself and paid a friend/luthier to do it for me. It took him about 5 minutes and it cost me a 6-pack of imported beer.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You can run the Duncan MM pickups passive. You don't have to have the preamp, although you tonal options open up a bunch if you add it.

6. cool and does it have a good defined sound?

7. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Hi ! I have an olp mm2 in flame maple coming to me in the mail, and I think I am going to retrofit either duncans or bartolinis as soon as it arrives.any thoughts?:meh:

8. I think you might be surprised to find the olp pu's arent so bad. the only problem i can find is that they are a little microphonic, (pick out the squeeks and squeals, shudders and knocks nearly as clearly as the string vibration)

9. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    NORDSTRAND.............incredible!

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Aero makes a MM pickup designed for passive operation.

11. +10000 on the SD Alnico recommendations, which I have (5-string version) in my main bass (active with bypass, I use it mostly in passive mode) and my backup (passive). The tone is killer: the usual MM but slightly less agressive, a bit more "refined". It is a passive pickup, it's actually a bit hotter than your average Jazz pu, so no problems there.

12. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    thirstygums, just sold my olp mm2 - i took out the nordstrand pickup before i sold it. it sounded great, but i needed the $$ if you're interested pm me

13. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    how much for the pickup and preamp?

14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Kent Armstrong has a good one also. Much higher output than others mentioned above. 13.5 K ohms Great passive sound.
    I got mine for around $58 plus shipping.

[​IMG]

Wired with a 3 way switch, this is the most versatile pickup in my arsenal.

15. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Hey how do the Duncan MM pickups sound passive? And which out of the ceramic and alnico versions would you recommend for me? Im looking for something to make my passive SUB more lively, currently its rather dull and indistinct. I like a bass-mid heavy sound to back up 2 distorted guitars and to make our CGCF tuning shine.

16. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    +1 on the Knet armstrongs.

Just today I had an old Peavey BXP millenium and removed the neck pup and routed out for the K.A. Boy it has serious thump!

Any future MM pup mods will have the K.A. in them !!

http://wdmusic.com/bass_guitar_pickups_13619_ctg.htm

PS Rumbplethump, where did you get them for $58?

Mike

17. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    mine's got a bartolini mmc, sounds great to my ears.

18. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    They sound GREAT to me! I've got a total of 11 (eleven!) SMB-5A now, mounted as duals in my fretted basses and singles in my fretless basses . . . I've got a ceramic version (SMB-5d) left over . . . I REALLY prefer the AlNiCo version . . .

Like I said, the AlNiCo version (SMB-5A for 5-string basses and SMB-4A for 4-string basses) is MY favorite . . . YMMV . . .

19. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Hm okay thanks! ill try out the Alnico version. Have you heard them passive? What tonal differences will it make being wired passive in comparison to active?