Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good pedal board PSU for Aussies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el_Kabong, Dec 30, 2005.

1. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I just bought one of these yesterday from DSE and it's great. Mine is 12 volts only, the voltage is not variable and it was a little cheaper. All my pedals run happily on it, including my EBS's which are very picky about their power. Check the output - 3 amps! The case is a little flimsy and not overly pedal board friendly (well for my board anyway). I'm going to pull the guts out and put them in a sturdy plastic box. Lots of seemingly clean power for not too much money, worth a look.

2. 3 amps! Do you really need that much power? I thought even 1 amp was overkill.........you must have the whole extended family of pedals!
    Glad you like it btw. :cool:

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I know, it's total overkill, I was just pleased to find a beefy power supply that had all the power I could ever need and kept the ebs's happy (they hum like crazy with most psu's ime). I haven't been able to find a 1 amp unit that worked with them. They don't draw much juice but my eq20 (120ma) and holy grail (500ma) are pretty hungry. The dse unit is a switching supply so it's not physically that large. FWIW the multicomp seems to like this psu, sounds both cleaner and more punchy to me.

4. so does it matter if you run 12v into a 9v pedal?

5. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hell Yes It Matters. You'll burn the damn pedal out. You can run as many milliAmps into the pedal as you want, as far as I know*, but you Can Not run as many volts as you want. Hence AC adapters to change the voltage from 120/230 (depending on the region) to 9 (or 18 depending on the pedal). Hell, the DC brick from Dunlop has separate 9 and 18 outs.

* I've run 200 milliAmps into my wah that uses <2.5 (according to the manual)

6. haha, sorry, I thought this guy was saying that he's running all his pedals at 12v :p

7. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    *Breathes sigh of relief*

I just didn't want anyone to kill their pedals :bawl:

Cus that would just suck :( :( :(

8. Actually it all depends if the pedal is based on a regulated circut or not, if its regulated 12V 'might' be ok.

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Sure, but does anyone want to risk it???????

I'm betting they don't ;)

10. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I just fixed the link I posted, stopped working for some reason. That supply runs at 9v as well as 12. I am running my pedals at 12 volts, they seem to run cleaner with a high output bass. I don't figure it's much of a risk as most of the non regulated psu's I've put a multimeter on seem to run at around 11 - 13 volts. I've even got one that shows 15v. Only my petersen tuner doesn't like 12v. Check your own supplies, you might be suprised what voltage you're actually running. A cheap multimeter is a handy thing!

11. 12V is not likely to damage pedals in most cases, however I wouldn't recommend it for units under warranty! Also, Pantsman is correct, a regulated 12VDC would definitely be safer than an unregulated 12VDC.

Older Boss pedals were designed to run on an unregulated 9VDC supply, which ultimately ends up being closer to 12VDC than 9VDC. So, I run these types of pedals on a regulated 12VDC with no problems. In fact, some will not run at all on a regulated 9VDC.

Just for clarity, a pedal will only draw as many milliamps as it needs, you cannot force it to draw more or less than it wants. However, how much current it draws may depend on the voltage that it is supplied.