1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good pedal for octave up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 8, 2013.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'm searching for a good pedal that is relatively simple and will give me good "up octave" sounds. Not really into a built in fuzz/octavia thing, had a micro pog and didnt find it clean enough, thought about a pitch factor, but I'm kinda after something simpler cheaper, and smaller. Any suggestions?

2. Are you looking for a pedal that plays the original pitch+the octave above it or a pedal that takes the original pitch and transfers the note 1 octave higher?

3. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    ideally, something that allows me to use my dry signal and variably add a clean upper octvave (bonus for being able to variably add harmonics/overdrive)

4. Klausklaerwerk

Klausklaerwerk

Sep 5, 2012
  5. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thats a nice little unit. The 30ms delay is a bit jarring, I think it might drive me a crazy.

6. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    My buddy came over with the Trex Octavius on his guitar pedal board. It sounded pretty great on my bass. Octave up and down each with a level control.

7. Take a look at Gojira's Octaver.

8. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I think you will be hard pressed to find a upper octave pedal that works better than the micro Pog overall ... the Micro Pog tracking is best I've seen.

I admit the Micro Pog can sound silly if you use too much upper octave but I wouldn't say it wasn't "Clean". Blended right I think its near perfect .... at least for my taste

9. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    The micro pog wasn't all that bad, I just craved something a little sweeter and cleaner in the upper octave. Agreed that the tracking was pretty darn good. I have an oc2 I like for sub octave, so really I just need that upper octave sound

10. DComtois

DComtois

Jan 10, 2010
    Methuen, MA
    I've tried the Fishman Fission pedal. I have a love/hate relation with this pedal. On paper, it's got the octave above. It sound good but isn't "organic" enough. There's a 5th above and a 4th below that only works with one note rhythms. I guess the real solution would be to get an 8-string or 12-string bass! 😎

11. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I wish that Fission were about half the size.. Listening to all these, I like the micro pog the best, but not enough to plop down on another one. Maybe i need to use it in conjunction with some other pedals to get the sound I want out of it.

12. how about a Line6 M5. The octave up in my M9 is great.