1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good pedal to get the treble higher

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stlandvan, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    I'm trying to get more treble with my sound for some of the songs my band covers and wanted to know if any of you know of a good pedal to achieve this. I have an ampeg svt cl and the 610 cab, and I have the treble all the way up but I want more. I also have a GB streamliner 900 for my back up amp. I own a Aguilar tone hammer pedal but it just doesn't get the treble up as high as I need it for some of the songs. I'm trying to get the treble up for the Korn songs we cover we also do pantera and white zombie which use a lot of treble in their sound. I use a spector q pro bass btw. Any input would be much appreciated

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Obvious answer: an EQ (equalizer) pedal. I use a Danelectro Fish'n'chips EQ pedal on my guitar rig, it works great, doesn't add noise and was inexpensive too. It's also footswitchable and has a separate level control.

3. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    Yeah I was thinking a eq would work, I just wanted to ask on here before I got one, thanks for the input

4. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
  5. Does your cab have a tweeter?

6. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    You might also want to try an enhancer like the Aphex Aural exciter. It clarifies the treble in a clever way (a special type of distortion that doesn't sound like distortion).

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Don't boost your bass.

8. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Oh yeah, there is also the EHX steel leather.

9. You can get pretty darn close with the VFE Triumverate.

10. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I always ran the treble on my SVT turned down slightly, horn turned off if the cab had one, non-bright strings, and finger style. It still had plenty of high end I thought, but I wasn't playing clanky, percussive rock like you described.

If you have your treble maxed and still need more I'd first look at something other than EQ to make sure you're not missing something. Or have some technical issue causing high end cut.

* Not rolling treble at the instrument (I'm guessing you're not)
    * Brighter strings
    * Less bass boost (which will make things seem brighter)
    * Different right hand technique (sharper attack should brighten the tone)
    * Make sure there's not something wrong with your cabinet or other gear

Otherwise you'e got a lot of good suggestions.

11. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    Dmusic- yes my cab has a tweeter

12. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    Gastric- I use pro steels they are the brightest strings I have found. I'm just looking for some suggestions, I love the sound I get out of my set up, but when we play covers I just want it to sound a little closer to some of the bands we cover

13. And you're sure it's working?

14. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    good suggestions so far. are you cutting bass and mids, or only boosting treble? might want to cut those if you're not already...

15. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013

Yes it's working

16. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013

No I don't cut them bc I feel I still need them to achieve the sound I'm trying to get, I want it to be punching and treblely and if I cut them I loose the punch

17. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Are you looking for a "bright switch" in a pedal?

18. I used to have one for guitar. When I ordered it I assumed it would do nothing on minimum and as you turn it up it would boost treble, however it's really a preset EQ (bright but it rolls off massive amounts of low end) and a volume knob. I don't mind a bit of low end loss but this had way too much for bass imo.

19. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013

I think so, bc I don't want that super bright sound for all the songs I play and it would be nice to get it with just a kick of a button

20. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Try a rusty box