Good pedal tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Hi there everyone, I am currently looking for a good pedal tuner for up to £100(preferably about £70 though). Does anyone know any really accurate reliable ones that won't effect my tone in anyway when they're in the signal chain? Cheers.
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I don't know what they cost in the UK but get a Peterson Strobostomp and be done with it. True Bypass, freakishly accurate, and has a built in DI. Eats batteries, but that is part of the deal with that big, bright, LCD display.

Before I had that I used a Korg DT-7 and a true-bypass switch to keep it out of my signal chain. Nice tuner, pretty easy to see on a pedalboard, and very accurate.
  3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I bought a Boss TU-2 about 6 months ago, and it's the only pedal I take absolutely everywhere. I've heard they're less than accurate, but the convienience makes up for it.

4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I also use mine as a power supply :smug:
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    ...not effect

...moved for your pleasure
  6. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Ahh sorry about that. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll write these names down and go see what they have at the music shop, and see if I can find one of them, or something very similar(same manufacturer etc.)
  7. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    If you don't mind waiting for the 2006 goods, Behringer will be releasing what some claim to be a "clone" of the Boss tuner, at about half the price.

It'll be interesting to see if Behr's model will power other pedals as well.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A guy that I play with all the time uses a Korg DT-10. I have plugged into it a few times. It's nice. Has a big display and works at least as fast and as well as my Korg rack tuner.
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1 for the TU-2. It's a fantastic pedal. Never had a problem with accuracy.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  11. You don't need anything more accurate than the TU-2 unless you're setting intonation, IMO.

Also batteries last forever in them.
  12. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

Forget the batteries too ... get a Regulated (!!!) wall-wart power supply ... i tried a non-regulated power supply, and it blows the power board (it actually caught on fire) :crying: .. Peterson was great about replacing it though, and even gave me a free T-shirt (that's commitment to service ;) )

Did I say to make sure the power supply is regulated? (!!)
  13. I picked up a StroboStomp when they first came out, I was never entirely happy with the Boss, Korg, and Sabine tuners I had tried over the years (rack mount, pedal, candy bar, etc). I took to the Strobo quickly, I find it easier to use than the needle or LED sweep types. The 1/10th cent vs. 3 cent accuracy is a bonus (a nice one!). I consider it well worth the price, even adding the cost of a regulated wall wart for it. If they made it into a 1u rack unit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat too. :cool:

The only negative I could come up with for the StroboStomp is the weak battery clip, but since I use the wall wart that doesn't affect me. The positives are that it is very well built (excluding the battery door/clip), extremely fast and and easy to read even in the dark.
  14. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I have another small tuner that was about £17, and that's pretty accurate for setting intonation I've found, but I really need something for live use. This Boss TU-2 sounds interesting if it can power other pedals.
  15. The StroboStomp has power pass-through, you want to check that you don't overload the power adapter with too many pedals. This list is borrowed from a Peterson support person (would apply to the TU-2 also):

Regulated power supplies suitable for the StroboStomp would be:

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 (Eight isolated 9VDC 100mA regulated outputs)

Visual Sound 1-Spot (9V fully regulated output)

Carl Martin Big John 9v Power Supply (Seven regulated 9VDC outputs 600mA total)

Godlyke PA9 Power All (9V 800mA regulated output)

Boss PSA120 adapter (9V 200mA regulated) Do not use the Boss ACA120 Unregulated power supply!

Boss ACA, Danelectro DA1, Radioshack, etc., do not have a voltage regulator and are not suitable.

As always with any pedal, be careful - check voltage (9V or 12VDC regulated) & polarity (positive barrel-negative inner sleeve) first and don't overload the power supply's ampere rating by daisy chaining too many pedals from a single supply.
  16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Hell, I use it for my intonation work too. It's probably not accurate to a single cent, but it's pretty darn close.
  17. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Hmmm, regulated power supplies? is that not jsut a 9V adapter?
  18. Not all the 9V adapters are regulated. For example, the Boss AC-120 is non-regulated (that is the green topped box) and the PSA-120 (black topped box) is regulated. Use of a non-regulated power supply on a circuit that requires a regulated one will often let the magic blue smoke escape...