Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good pickups... On a budget?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArtisFallen, Aug 10, 2004.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    alrighty, i've tried my hand at this and i've gotten nowhere. which means i've got a challenge for you knowledgable folks here on the TB Forums

I'm making a homebrew, and need a good set of pickups for it. Tonally I'm looking for approximately enough bass and punch for slap, cause i like that cutting tone, but i need enough response and clarity for tapping, cause that's my forte (with an accent)

i'd preferably like a passive option because i don't feel like putting forth cash for a pre, or an EQ.

and oh by the way the challenge is to find this under $110 US.

good luck all :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what pickup shape? what sized pickup routes if you've decided? how many strings?

All this information will help :)

3. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    good+budget=buy used

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    EMG J+J

Got them on my fretless fender jazz. Love em.

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,

PM sent.

Mo'

6. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    yeah ok i probably should add a few more restricting factors.

it's a four string fretted, with no pickup routing as of yet. that gives me a whole lot of options, because no matter what i get, i'm going to have to cut the body.

and Maurillo, i might just take you up on your offer there. i'm going to shop around a bit first, but i'll be in touch.

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    thank you.

Mo'

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

How about a P-P setup using G&L MFD pickups? They are very clear and balanced with a lot of growl and punch. Kind of more vintagey than hi-fi but maybe you could find an SB-2 (US or Tribute) to check it out. The were under $40 apiece not too long ago and have as much output as many active systems. Tim @ BuffaloBrosGuitars can hook you up.

Oh yeah, G&L MFD humbuckers were under $50 per not too long ago. And lots of folks love their L2000s. With series/parallel switching (and maybe a passive treble & bass cut like an L2000) you've got tons of tone for under $100 all passive.

9. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    excelent. that sounds perfect. got a website for me maybe?

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Buffalo Bros site

G&L site

The pickups aren't listed on the Buffalo Bros site but if you email them they can quote you the current prices for them. The G&L site has some info on their MFD pickups but doesn't list them separately.

The P-pickups are standard size but the humbuckers aren't the same footprint as anything else I've come across.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK. The Dimarzio Ultra Jazz are excellent pickups for slap, and have a good top end also.

The G&L's may well be excellent pickups, I'm sure they are as G&L's are quality instruments. One thing to remember : if you have to route a non-standard shape for a pickup it can be messy replacing them later on if you don't like them.

I'd be especially careful committing myself to a non-standard route for pickups I haven't heard - if you've heard them before and like them then great, go for it. I'd generally go for some standard configs i.e. variations of J's, P's, MM's , soapbars. i.e. P/J,J/J,J/MM, two soapbars.

One more thing you haven't mentioned - what woods are you using?

12. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Yeah sure. I didn't realize wood choice made much of a difference in the pickup choice. i knew it affected resonance, but i had no idea it might affect my pickup choice too.

yeah i'm actually using an odd collection of diferent woods. Maple neck (through body design), Cocobolo fingerboard, and a red oak body. the thing is vintage heavy (mainly due to the oak), so i'm hoping it has at least some decent sustain.

does that change anything?