Good Pickups to combine with Aggie OBP-3??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    What's up TB??

I have a 2008 Ibanez BTB566 that I will be putting an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp in. My question is, what are good pickups to combine with it? I have Bart pups and an Aggie pre in my Squier and it sounds WAY better than my Ibanez(which is my favorite nonetheless). Plus I'm limited in what I want to spend. I just want personal opinions, I know the whole "personal preference" rule applies, but feedback from personal experience is always helpful. I really appreciate it!

God bless

*Anybody tried EMGs with an Aguilar preamp?*

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Custom Kent Armstrongs

or

Nordstrands

3. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Kent Armstrongs only seem to be made in 4 or 5 string configuration. Do they make six string versions of their soapbars?

P.S. Thanks for responding!

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Take a look at Delano pickups. I have one of their MM replacements and a OPB-3 in my Stingray 4. Everyone really likes the tone.

5. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Thanks, I actually have looked at them, I just wasn't really thinking about spending over $240 for a set. I've heard rave reviews though!

Thanks!!!

6. Aero, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan.

7. gruvit

gruvit

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    +10,000,000. I had a CB with Big Singles and an Aguilar OBP3 with a tone control that worked in active and passive mode and it was the perfect combo IMO.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

I'm positive Ken can make you whatever you need. And I'm not talking the import Kent Armstrongs you find on WD website. I'm talking custom made Kent Armstrongs. Any I've had made were still lower cost than a set of Bartolini Quad Coil humbuckers. One thing that will impact the cost is whether Kent has a mold for the pickup shell that you need or not. Low End Jazzes had Kent Armstrongs in them for quite a while I believe as well as other boutique basses. I'd be surprised if Kent didn't have many 6-string molds.

Only can find out by inquiring.

9. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Thanks for the info! I've heard LowEnd basses and they sound amazing!! I suppose I will try to contact Kent Armstrong and inquire about 6 string soapbar pickups.

Any others...???

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You could also contact Brian Barrett at Low End and he can have the pickups made for you. That's how I did both sets I've used.

11. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Oh okay, good info! I just emailed Kent Armstrong too lol! Thanks again!

12. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Brian said the pickups cost $250 a set. That's pushing it, but I guess you get what you pay for...I'll have to think about that for a second lol!

Thanks for all of the help!!!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021