1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good pickups to replabe new MECS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Naminator01, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Naminator01

Naminator01

Oct 29, 2005
    So my thumb 6 Bolt on should be here by thanksgiving.

sadly I`ve had hard times with the Mecs....

so anyways... i noticed on their page (warwickbass.com) that the thumb 6 comes with soapbar pups these are of course one of the biggest of all warwick pups.

now... is there any chance i could install some EMG´s? or bartolinis?

or should i just keep these?

note: ive never changed pups in my life so im kinda new here

2. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I took the MEC preamp out on my Thumb5, going V/V/T (not really passive cause the PUs are active but did not put any other inboard preamp in) and already it's a major improvment. My tech says those MEC PUs (mine are J PUs) are the same as EMG. So...

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Your bass can take Seymour Duncan Active pickups, or Bartolinis.

Seymour makes the Active Phase 1 Soapbars that are a direct fit. And sound perfect for a Warwick. Be sure to buy the STC3 Contronl too, its a great matched preamp.

Bartolini makes the P4 , wich will also fit. But I wouldnt put barts on a warwick unless you want to tame the agressiveness of the wenge and bring a softer growl.

I
    EMG, No,unless you make the holes bigger.

You can try finding other brands now that you know the size that can fit the pickups, if you want something different.

4. I'd say let it get there, and decide what your unsatisfied with then, if anything. Who knows. Maybe it will be perfect for you. You can't know that yet, can you?