Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good place to buy bulk pro-sound speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Hi, I thought I'd try you guys out. I'm looking for 250ft bulk prosound speaker cable (preferrably 12 gauge or even 10). Any reasonable sites that you know of? I've looked at Musician'sFriend, zZounds.com, Music123.com,etc..

My band is wanting to replace old cables. 12 gauge would work ok, but if I found a good deal on 10, I'd go for that.

Thanks ...

Mag...

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    http://www.partsexpress.com

I wouldn't want to try 10ga with most connectors. I think 12ga would be bad enough.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cameltraders.com is another one. I concur on the 10 gauge cable thing. It pretty much won't fit in Speakon connectors, which are the only ones that make sense at that gauge, anyway.

BTW, I've been buying a bunch of crud from Parts Express lately, and have had very good experience with them.

4. I agree with the above posters...forget 10 gauge.
    14 awg is really all one needs...12 max. in a Speakon connector (harder to work with though)

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i'm using homemade stuff from partsexpress with 12 gauge speaker cable and dual banana plugs. they barely fit, so yeah, 10 wouldnt be of any use with dual banana plugs. good experiences with parts express

6. I appreciate the quick replies and the helpful information. It's funny that I did not re-check PartsExpress's stuff. They have some nice 12 awg that should work.

Thanks for the heads-up on the wire gauges. I believe our old cables are 12, and we have large 1/4" connectors on those. It's fairly thick cable too. So I think I'd be ok with 12.

The longest runs of cable will be about 50 foot. The power amps usually stack over on one side of the stage, and then have to run to the other.

Mag...

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I recommend the Carol 12ga speaker cable from PartsExpress. If your runs are only 50 feet then I'd consider going to the 14ga and saving yourself some weight. But the 12ga is fine stuff and built to last.

Don't go for the car audio junk.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Carvin sells rolls of 12G speaker cable with a round rubber cover.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Check eBay!!! In the industrial section, not musical instruments.

I have a bunch of Carol 12-2 SJO cable from PartsExpress and am quite happy. However, I also found an electrical supplier selling off old stock of SJO and SO cable on eBay and made a heck of a deal...

Try to stick with SJO cable as the jack on SO is much larger and harder to fit in the connectors. However 12-2 SO will just fit in a Speakon connector.

Here are some things I found on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73138&item=7506253964&rd=1

from the consumer electronics section...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14966&item=5766861785&rd=1

Have fun!!!!

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I usually buy bulk 2-conductor stranded round-jacketed cable at a hardware or electrical supply store because I usually need it right away. But PartsExpress, cameltraders.com, procablesnsound.com, and others are good sources.