Good place to find new/used modulus basses? (genesis models)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 23, 2004.

1. In the search for the perfect bass, I have stumbled upon the Modulus Genesis question is, where can you find them used at a good price, and what is a good price for a new one?
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Ebay and, though they don't come up much.

I've seen new shop-worn Genesis 4's as low as $1200.
  3. I've actually seen nearly-new Genesis Vs for the same price. Had I the scratch, I'd definitely hit that.
  4. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    graham did you make it over to cascio to try them out today?
  5. Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    You missed out there was a 4 string Genesis 4 on Ebay last week for less than a grand!Good deal! I can see if I can still find the guys email but in the meantime I think Elderly had one used.

Ive encountered the same problem even finding a pic of a Genesis 4 to even look at. I dont think that Modulus makes many Genesis's especially 4 strings. I order my Modulus Genesis 4 in August and should be seeing it within the next 2 weeks hopefully. It will have the Bart Soapbars, NTMB preamp & passive switch, figured maple fingerboard and a burl maple top with a satin finish.
    Sounds nice eh?!

Good luck they are great basses & you wont be dissapointed

6. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

Also, any clue if it's true that Modulus just upped the price of all their basses? I heard today from a lareg bass dealer that modulus anounced a $600 increase on all guitars and a $800 increase on all basses...

I hope not.
  7. Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    I talked to 2 big dealers last Saturday and they both said there was going to be a price increase in February but not by that much. I think it was more like $200 but I could be wrong.
    When I was ready to buy my bass I emailed every single dealer I could find until I got a good price and quotes ranged from $1900 to almost $3000.
    I wound up paying less than $1900 in the end.
    Like I said you really wont find many used 4 strings or ANY new 4 strings in stock online.
    GGuitars, Bass northwest ,Bass central or Spotlight music are probably your best bet at getting a good price on one built for you.
  8. Can you go direct from modulus? Or would you pay out the nose taking that route? Also, who did you order through?

Any other suggestions, etc?
  9. Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Can you go direct from modulus?

No you need to go through a dealer
    and I ordered mine from GGuitars in Ct.
    did you get the guys email that I sent you? get a hold of him maybe you 2 could work out a deal. I would have bought his if I didnt already order one
  10. Also,

I found a genesis 4 at my local guitar dealer today...dont know how long it's been there, but it sounds very good. Barts Jazz p-ups, looks like an amber finish, birdseye board, 2 band EQ...only things I found wrong with it was a tiny ding in the finish on the front of the body down by the knobs (very minute) and I noticed when maxing out the treble knob, there was some noticeable hiss...

I think I could probably get them down to about 1500-1600 because of the ding, but I'm not sure if thats worth it...then again, it is a minor ding and I'm sure I could have that fixed for a small fee.

In your experience, have you noticed a hiss when turning the treble all the way up?

11. My email is broken...could you PM his email addy to me?

Thanks again
  12. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Use the ding to get them to bring the price down. It suggests its been on the wall for a while and has probably had a lot of people handling it. You shouldn't have to pay full price when you can get one new in the box that no one has touched for the same price. But I wouldn't worry about fixing the ding, because more dings are bound to happen in the future. . .

Check this place out:

I just got a new Flea 4 they had in-stock, but they can do special orders.
  13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My wife bought me a brand new Gen 5 for $1000 (with case) when MARS went belly-up. Needless to say, it had its fair share of dings from repeated handling but nothing that affected playability. I rarely see Gen 4 bangers.
  14. Evan & Chad at Bass Northwest and Gard & Grasshopper at Basscentral are great to deal with.

They will stand behind what they sell and they won't give you any BS.

I find in the end I get better value than I did when I used to buy off ebay and Bassgear or bustouts from the chains. Too many times there was some issue that I had to deal with.