1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good place to get tube amp worked on in Philly area?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stlandvan, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm new on here. I have ampeg svt cl and would like to know if anyone knows a good tech in the Philadelphia area to get it serviced, any input will be much appreciated

2. Januszak

Januszak

Oct 31, 2012
    PA
    If nobody gives any recommendations, try searching MITA (Musical Instrument Technicians Association). They have a "find a service center" search option:
    http://mitatechs.org/service-locator

3. ImTheOnlyOne

ImTheOnlyOne

Apr 7, 2011
    Call Jim Walton in the North East near Rising Sun ave. I hear that he's excellent with vintage gear - lots of experience.
    tel:215-342-7327

4. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    Thanks, I used someone in west chester pa and he charged $300 I just got it back yesterday and the fans not running and it's got a crackling sound coming out of it, I'm afraid to take it back to them

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    +1000

He's authorized by lots of amp manufacturers including Mesa

6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Never used his services myself but Jim Walton is a name I've heard mentioned as doing quality work.
    Stlandvan, did you by any chance go through West Chester Music to their suggested amp guy? I live right outside West Chester, btw.

7. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013

Yes

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'll steer clear then if I ever need any repair work. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you live in the West Chester area?

9. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013

I work near there, I live in Nottingham. I'm not saying they are a bad place, it's just my amp isn't right after they worked on it

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Ah, got it. They're actually a nice local store so I like to support that by buying stuff there when possible.

Nottingham - home of Herr's snack foods! We're in West Goshen Twp. but only about a 5 minute walk to the West Chester Univ. campus.

11. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    ive always loved going to west chester music. i wouldnt hesitate to talk to those guys about issues youre having. i used to go there years ago before i really started collecting gear and always felt comfortable with the guys there. Id probably still be going there if i lived in the area, but since moved to State College.

They need to know if something is wrong with the amp if it is not functioning properly after a $300 repair.

good luck!

12. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    I love going to West Chester music, I'm not trying to give them a bad rep, I prefer the mom and pop places over the big chains any day. I plan on taking it back to get it checked out

13. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013
    I just want to find a good place to in my area to get my amp worked on. My brother has had many problems with returning his guitar amp and I don't want to start that trend

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think you should take it back to them to get it made right. And it shouldn't cost you. I know some folks on the Chester city council if you need anyone to lean on them ;)

15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Chester and West Chester are two different places.

16. Stlandvan

Stlandvan

Oct 17, 2013

I'm willing to travel if I find a good tech, Chester is not all that far from west chester

17. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Right. Half hour drive not during rush hour. During rush hour - all bets are off.
    Hour and a half probably. I don't know of any repair shops in Chester though. No music stores either.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Chester is a long way from Central Florida JimmyM - surprised that you know folks on the Chester City council - not to imply that everyone you know would be from Florida mind you!;)

Agreed though - they're decent folks at West Chester music. I'd give them a chance at making things right. Especially with a solid amp like the SVT!

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The mom of one of the singers I work with sometimes is on the Chester City Council. I don't know much about Chester and West Chester otherwise, though.

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Ah, got it. That's a rough job she has for sure!