Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good place to play really nice basses in Toronto

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kraig99, Mar 14, 2003.

1. I'm going to Toronto on Saturday (to see a Raptors game and a Disturbed concert) and I'd like to play some really high end basses if I get some spare time. There aren't really any stores that carry super nice basses arund where I live and I'd definitely like to play some top of the line instruments. Anybody know any good places in the downtown area? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Steve's Music Store. Carries everything but Warwicks, my friend. It's on Queen Street...can't remember the street number, but it's a couple blocks away from the Silver Snail. There's a little diner not to far away that's really tucked away, but the food is AMAZING. Too bad I hate the rest of Toronto...

EDIT: On a side note, the prices are the best you'll find in Canada. They're FANTASTIC. I found the Ibanez EDC700 for almost $200CAD less than the price would be if I tried to buy it from Musician's Friend.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If you're looking for REALLY high end stuff (ie, Lull, EA, Raven Labs, Rob Allen, Sadowsky etc) check out Club Bass:

www.clubbass.ca

Never been there but checking out their webpage makes the GAS agonizing.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Long & McQuade on Bloor St. has a great selection of high end basses and amplifiers. They carry a ton of Warwicks.

Steve's Music is not too far away from the ACC, I was there yesterday. Lots of great gear...Aguilar, Eden, Bag End. Some nice basses too. I bought my Steinberger EUB there.

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Steve's music is on the south side of Queen St. less than one block east of Spadina. It is not too far from the ACC

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Rargh! I thought the only Warwick dealer was Efkay Music in Lachine, Quebec. Any advice on places to check them out other than TO or Lachine?

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    My impression is that most Long & McQuade stores tend to carry them...

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you don't mind a bit of detour out of the downtown core, The 12th Fret on Danforth Ave. has a used F bass... EDIT: This is it... [​IMG]

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was in Steve's and the Bloor L&M last night. Steve's has a used Alembic (can't remember which one), as well as a couple electric uprights (if that's your thing). L&M has some great Warwicks in right now, you can A/B a Thumb neckthru and a Thumb bolt-on (both 5's), they also have a Fender "relic" Custom Shop Jazz Bass, and a used Alembic that's being held for someone (if it wasn't I would own it by now probably ;)). Club Bass is one-man operation, so it does pay to call ahead to make sure that someone will be there... As thrash_jazz said, the GAS factor there is high.

10. The closest place to you is probably Long and McQuade on Bank St. in Ottawa.

Club Bass: I'm afraid to go back! GAS from hell!
    :D

11. Im going there too... if you see a guy with dreads like a pinneaple... ITS ME, say HI!

12. what does GAS mean??? just out of curiosity... i think the F-bass would be an awesome bass just to try... you should check it out, they are great....
    those are my 2 cents...

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome

14. thnx alot... i never knew... at least you arent like bruce in your reply...... ;)

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    That F Bass at 12th Fret is in very nice condition.Great colour & price.
    I was unaware until I saw it that Furlanetto offers a bass without his own pickups/preamp, but with EMGs & a ? pre.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Vadim is a guy from Russia who now lives in, and builds basses in Toronto. Luthier's Access Group, in the Chicago area, is a distributor of these incredible beasts!

Here's a link to the LAG website with Vadim's info: http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/vadim.html

And, here's a bass I fell head-over-heels for when I first played...

[​IMG]

And, here's the back...

[​IMG]

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

I think I saw one or two of these at Lowdown Sound in Ferndale (Detroit). I'll have to swing by there to see if that's indeed the case.

Peace,

James

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What Mark said... last time I went there was a month or so ago, and they had at least 6 or 7 Warwicks there! :)

19. George had that used one for sale in his shop last year, and I asked him about the pups. He said it was a custom order (I think they are EMG's, but I can't remember). When I asked why someone might order EMG's instead of his own, he just shrugged - I have a hard time understanding that as well, since F-Bass pups are the cleanest and most flexible sounding I have heard.

Kraig99 - To play a nice variety, see Dave at Club Bass next time you are back in T.O. (This post is too late). It is a very personal experience, and he has some Lulls and Rob Allens you won't find anywhere else, plus some great deals on Lakland Skylines. Although Steve's has the largest selection from crap to high end (and the lowest prices for what they carry), they have the worst impersonal, crappy service. L&M are much better for a mainstream store.