good places for used gear (NYC)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jomahu, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i'll be making a trip up to NYC later on this month, and i'm looking for some used gear stores (pawnshops, etc.) in the area.
    any ideas about where to go?

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I think 53rd has all of the music shops on it, so I'd start there. I've never been there myself, but that's the myth.

I'm also going up to NYC in April to play at Carnegie Hall, and I would also like to check out some shops.

3. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Gotta stop at Roger Sadowsky's place in Brooklyn, just across the Brooklyn Bridge. Walkable (if you're a serious walker) from lower Manhattan, and a quick cab ride in any case.
  4. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I know none of these are pawnshops, but if you are going to be in NYC, you owe it to yourself to check out the topflight gear stores.

The main places to hit are Rudy's on 48th Street (between Broadway and 6th Ave - "Music Store Row") where they have a great selection of high-end products such as Lakland, Modulus, Ritter, Zon, Bergantino, EBS, etc in addition to great used gear. Pretty spendy place, though. My favourite store by far is 30th Street Guitars where there is generally a great selection of vintage gear, especially if you are also a guitar player. Another good option is NY Guitar & Bass Boutique on 9th Ave between 50 & 51st Streets. Not a huge selection but what they have is high quality and they are extremely helpful and friendly.

If you are going to hit 48th Street, you might as well check out Manny's and Sam Ash but unfortunately, don't expect to be overly impressed.

Another good option to check out is Chelsea Guitars at 220 23rd Street. Lots of used stuff including some cool "orphan" products.

My final recommendations are Ludlow Guitars (164 Ludlow Street) and Matt Umanov Guitars at 273 Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village. Both have good used gear and have some cool obscure basses and amps. Both can also be pretty stoopid with the prices, though.

You hit all of these places, you can be sure that you'll find "The One" and be walking out with a much lighter wallet.

I'm really not aware of any good pawnshops in the City and I've been living and working here for about 7 years now. Believe me, I also love doing the pawnshop thing and have found prizes in the past when I lived in Edmonton, Alberta. The few that I did hit (now gone) in the city on 8th Avenue were expensive and sold crap. If you want to hit the pawnshops you'll likely have to go outside of NYC to the 'burbs.
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    48th Street is Music Row. That doesn't mean that 's the best palce to get used gear. I think there a place called Rouge Music in village. 8Th Street Music also in the village. (Greenwich Village that is)
  6. I second Chelsea Guitars - very impressive selection of Pre-CBS Fenders, especially if you're not used to seeing a dozen or so of them in one room.

But, bring enough money with you to buy a late-model used car. :D

Mike ;)
  7. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    When you say "used gear," do you mean:

a) previously owned equipment that is good but cheaper than its new counterpart or

b) vintage gear that I'll pay whatever to get that certain vibe.

If it's (a), good luck in NYC. I'd check craigslist. If it's (b), there's plenty of shops mentioned above who are waiting to take your money.