Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Polish

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alx564, Dec 6, 2000.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,

Well its Christmas and I'm looking for another pointless gift. I was wondering what is a good polish for my bass. I have an Ibanez SR - 405 if that helps. Also where could I get some polish. Thanks.

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I tried some of them, Martin, Gibson, Dadario, and the best one is still the plain old windex.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a hunch they all come out of the same 55-gallon drum, but I just feel that the Alembic does the best job of wiping out the fingerprints and leaving a nice brilliant shine.

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Thanks for the help guys.

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Windex, as in furniture polish(or glass cleaner)?

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    glass cleaner

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I agree with the windex. The finishes are sealed so that stuff won't hurt them. I find that windex & a soft cloth works well on my jazz. thats all

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Windex will work real well to remove fingerprints. It has no polish in it, though.

9. Old English works well to give it a shine... leaves it very slippery though

10. When I worked at Lakland, we used this stuff called Atheras. It was the best polish I ever used. It has a small amount of mineral spirits in it, enough to really do a good job polishing, but not srew up the finish. I'm not sure where they bought it, though. It doesn't say anything on the label as far as place of purchase.

Herm

11. windex? really? ill have to try that

12. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I used some Windex on my bass and it cleaned it surprisingly well. It cleaned it well and got the finger prints and filth off. I still want some polish though to give it a nice shine though.

13. WINDEX is my friend