1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GOOD pop music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jul 31, 2012.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We get threads here pretty much like clockwork bemoaning the poor state of popular music. So I just wanted to invite a discussion turning the question around; what, to you, would constitute good pop music?

Just for where my own head is with this, I've been getting into Bombay Bicycle Club lately and just got to see them live in Boston the other day. Based on their albums, musically, I can't really say I would call them a "rock" band - there's something too delicate and ethereal about their sound for that. Live, they rocked out a lot more than I expected. Apparently they are sometimes called a "twee-pop" band but I don't really know what that means.

Now, if "pop" has to stand for "popular," they're obviously not Rihanna or Lady Gaga or whatever, so sales figures wouldn't justify the label. But when I listen to them, my feeling is that what they're playing is what pop music "ought" to be in my imaginary universe. Well-composed, creative, danceable (much of it, anyway), music with a light touch and sweet harmonies.

2. hufe

hufe

Mar 21, 2011
    Tijuana, Mexico
    I would argue that there's more music being made today that at any other time, and that includes good pop music. The problem, I think, is that Top 40/pop radio has evolved into something quite bland, generic and extremely segregated. That, and the fact that we have too many musical channels (Internet, standard radio, TV, iPods, etc,) means that what becomes popular has to have appeal with a huge audience, which in turn means that program directors won't deviate much from a formula sound.
    Most of the good pop, soul and rock music don't get too much exposure, but it's out there.

3. +1, well said.

It's not what you'd call "pop" but Tedeschi Trucks Band gets a lot of air time at my house.

4. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I have been trolling for band music, and find new pop music really sucks nowadays. I'll stick to 70-90 stuff.... ymmv

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Usher, Raphael Saadiq

6. Good pop music..... There's such a thing?

7. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    I really like the debut album of Bombay Bicycle Club, it has some great songs and some pretty good basslines.
    Another great band that I like is Phoenix, their last album is amazing! I consider them an alternative-pop band, really catchy with lots of synthesizers and, even though they are from France, they wrote some pretty good and fresh lyrics.

8. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I just got that recently... great stuff. Modern, but reminds me of what rock/pop was on the way to becoming in 1978-1979 before MTV showed up and killed it dead in it's tracks.

Kimbra is brilliant. Genius. We'll see if she becomes as popular as she should because her approach to recording is so unique.

Alanis Morrisette's 3rd (?) album So-Called Chaos is excellent. Many probably never found out because her second album Supposed Former infatuation junkie was so incredibly bad.

From what I've heard, Snow Patrol and Death Cab For Cutie has some commendable tunes. Dunno if Skrillex counts as pop or not, but I'm diggin it righteously.

I also think Katy Perry's stuff is great if you can get past the lyrics being geared towards high-schoolers.

Gorillaz. Better in singles form than album, but... yeah.

9. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    Some of my favorite pop songs from the last decade:

Foster the People

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Good Pop?

Older stuff would be the beatles, beach boys, some R&B influenced stuff (I'm not sure Motown or Soul is really pop)...
    There's a couple of fun blondie and other random numbers too.

More recently there are some good pop-rock type stuff like the pixies and some of that grunge stuff - REM had some great stuff around then (80's - 90's).
    I also loved the Super furry animals.... bit of a mixed bag.

Pop music is what's popular. There are some great 'indie' or 'alternative' bands/artists around now - Calexico and iron and wine impressed me recently (the album is a few years old though). Most radio and TV music is garbage IMO. I don't listen to the radio often. To many ads, to much dance.

my 2c.

11. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

Sep 16, 2012
    Bombay Bicycle Club, Phoenix

12. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    RHCP

13. hmm,,,,Michael Jackson albums up to Dangerous....
    These days... Florence and the Machine maybe...I`m not a big fan of that group but you have to admit she has a good voice (rare skill these days). Christina Aguilera`s Back to Basics. George Michael`s Older. But to be honest...when I can I stay away from commercial radio stations and music channels :)

14. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Mused is good,
    RHCP is good,
    Usher is good-> i havent listened to him since the last "confession" albulm.
    Wycleaf Jean's stuff is good
    Jason Mraz is good
    John Mayer is good- havent listened to his last albulm(Heavier Things must be my fav albulm from him).
    Adele is also nice
    Steel Panther is nice for a change

15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    First 2 Seal albums are amazing.

16. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Not all of this is new and it certainly will fall under different genre names rather than just "pop," but I think it's all still relevant.

Frou Frou. Just one album, a collaboration between Imogen Heap and Guy Sigsworth. So, so good. Unbelievably good. If you have an allergy to euro synth pop, it might not be your cup of tea, but the sounds on this album are just amazing.

Finally... you're welcome :)

17. I really liked Paloma Faith's first album.

Her second was decent, but she began sounding a bit too much like Madonna for my liking.

18. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    The Neon Trees are a great pop-rock/dance-pop band and put on a killer show.

19. MuteMath, they get some radio play and are easily some of the most talented dudes around. Not to mention the best live show I have ever been to.

lowsound

DagoMaino likes this.
  20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It seems like such an ambigious term to me. I think since the 80's it's pretty much meant whatever sells the most and dosen't fit into another distinct category. That said, I don't think there's been any really good "pop" music since the 60's. :bag: At least not that I've noticed.