Good practice amp for 5 string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    I'm looking for a good combo amp for practice and light gigging (praise/worship band). I currently have a Fender Bassman 60 that I've been using with my ASe P but I'm getting ready to switch over to a Modulus Q5 and I'm doubtful that the Bassman is really up to handling the low B. (Portability is a major factor. I really don't want to lug a separate cabinet and head except with the possibility of the PortaBass.)

A few possibilities I've looked at (in no particular order):

• Peavey TKO 115
    • Peavey TNT 115
    • Ampeg BA115
    • Ampeg PortaBass 250 (with a 2x12 cab possibly)
    I'm intrigued with the idea of a ~14lb 250 watt head but I've not found anyone who has really put it through its paces yet or can vouch for its reliability.

Any other suggestions or comments regarding my list greatly appreciated.
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Why don't you just go to store and try a 5 string plugged into a Bassman 60 before buying anything? I've got a Bassman 25 an it handles the B of my 5s just fine. My 5s are a Peavey Cirrus and an MTD Beast that was upgraded to active electronics. Both have pretty good B-strings in my opinion. Is it more of an issue of additional volume being needed?
  3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    My brother tried the PortaBass 250 with the 1x10. He said it was louder than he thought it would be. Sounded great, and handled a low B pretty good. Small and light.