"Good" "Practice" amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbz, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Another running thread about practice amps (What are practice amps for? http://www.talkbass.com/threads/what-are-practice-amps-for.1071587/) here has gotten me thinking. Does anyone here have a "practice" style amp they can highly recommend? Is there anyone out there that has a smaller combo they absolutely love and swear by?

My own experiences with 1x10 combos has found them to be severely lacking, but I honestly have not done enough research to pin one down. I'm honestly kinda hoping I'm wrong as I could use a smaller non-headphone based portable rig for easy practicing around the house.

Any suggestions?

2. I have an older Hartke Kickback 10 which I gig with all the time. I also have a Fender bassman 25 which I use mainly around the house but has been used with good results on those more sedate gigs. Both 1X10's and probably designed as practice amps. Highly recommended and passed the test of time.
    Found them both used and bought with a song. These days I am just a little annoyed at having to use larger combos or God forbid a stack on a gig...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Quite happy with the BA110.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I tend to agree, which is why I have a Fender Rumble 75 1x12 Combo for my personal practice amp. I did this to it http://www.talkbass.com/threads/upgrading-a-fender-rumble-75-combo.1018630/ Plus I use it for small gigs where my Rumble 350 mini-stack (112 x 2) is over-kill. The 75 has been replaced by the new Rumble 100 1x12 Combos, and is worthy of your rapt attention. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. Warwick BC20 is also an excellent choice. And they now also have a BC10 if you need something really light weight.

6. The Fender Bassman 25 is a gem. Good sound and makes a good monitor.

Linnin likes this.
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'll say it till I die, the Ampeg B50/100R. I have a 50 and LOVE it. You could say I swear by it. Sounds so damn good. They arent made any longer but they can still be found on eBay and some other places. Not to highly priced either. Thats my practice amp love. Never played a 100 but I assume they are a lot the same except the 100 puts out a tad more power. The 50 can even get away with small gigs/practices.

8. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Thank you for all the suggestions so far!

Keep em coming!

9. Roland Micro Bass Cube RX. Runs on batteries, 15 lbs. Replace the short strap for a regular guitar strap, sling it over the opposite shoulder that you sling your bass on, and you can stroll anywhere in the house, out to the patio, then the mailbox and beyond, into the park... Built-in effects, amp simulators, rhythm machine and it's cheap. Sound quality is good enough for practice and busking.

10. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Phil Jones Bass Double Four. I use it at home, for studio sessions and even for theatre pit gigs with people that know what "volume" and "dynamics" are.

11. JCM800

JCM800

Jan 22, 2009
    Austin TX
    I have a Trace Elliot Boxer 30 1x10 a friend just up and gave me.

It's a great little amp with a surprising amount of OOMPH, volume and flexible (but simple) EQ-ing.

I've used it for a few rehearsals and have played some gigs with it.

It was not lacking in volume for those situations. At all.

12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021