Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Hey guys, I call on your greatness :D for help. I was wondering what are some of the BEST practice amps and small gig amps I can get for say $600 tops. Since alot of the sound of a bass come from a amp I need something decent, other then my 15 watt Crate. I searched but didn't get exact answers... and I need something that has good lows and mids. And I won't be getting it soon because I gotta find me booty a part-time job first. All and any help welcome. Thanks.

2. bump

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ampeg B100-R is good and can be found for way less than $600... 15 inch speaker and 100 LOUD watts. I'm jonesin' for one right now...

-robert

4. anyone else :( ?

Thanks though

5. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
  6. Heh, all the money I have right now is.... 54 dollars...

7. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    PeaveyTNT's run about $600...

Ampeg quite making combos, i believe so one of theirs will be uber hard to find.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ashdown - Electric Blue. I've got one of the older 15" 130 watt jobs, specifially for practice and small gigs!

They're worth checking out if you get the chance, small, highly portable, and loud for their size. I also like the sound with them just set flat!

Hope this helps!

9. Thank you for all the help you TB addicts.

10. The Peavey TNT and Ampeg B100R are looking mighty good right now. Which one would have a better rock tone and possibly a good "B" since I might get a 5 string for my next bass?

Price of the Peavey is very affordable if I ever fill out my job application....

11. Go to Samash and buy yourself a Hartke 2000 head and a TP2x10 cab. That'd run ya $518 bucks... Thats what Im saving for... With that you get 120 watts out of it (the speaker cab handles 150 watts). IF you run an extension cab later on you'd pull out 200 watts. But the 2x10 and 2000 would be ideal for you right now...

THe hartke 2000 is $369 (120 watts at 8 ohms, 200 at 4)
    the 210 cab is $249

12. I know man, money sucks! I've only got like $206 saved.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you can find an SWR Workingman's 15 for that price then I would consider it an option. Nice, clean and deep. Great combo IMO. The 12" is nice too but would never be enough volume for even a small rock gig if you have a trap player.

brad cook

14. Well tomorrow my 34 dollars goes up to 134. Gotta shovel out my moms friends car and she said she will give me 100 bucks :)

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depending on what kind of sound you want, I would go for either the SWR WM 15 or the Ampeg B-100R (I haven't heard Ashdown's).

I have a Eden/Nemesis NC-210P that I like a lot, but it doesn't have the build quality of the above mentioned amps.

Check out everything you can, buy what you like (IMO, Peavey TNT's are tone dead, but YMMV).

16. Well I just got $100 dollars for shoveling out a car, me and my friend.... 100 bucks EACH ! God shes generous. Now 400 more bucks and I can a new amp...

17. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    for a "practice amp" i'm saving for an SWR WM's 15 or 12. i was quoted $422 at a Guitar Center for a new SWR WMs 12 around Chrismas... we'll see what's around when i have the cash.

18. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    I just got a SWR WM 15 a couple months ago for $525 i think, including shipping. I bought it blemished, new. So keep an eye out for sales like that. Watch the scratch/dent specials. The only thing bad about the SWR so far is that it is really heavy, about 70lbs and too big for one person to carry out of my 3rd floor apartment.

19. They said the 15's are 'light weight'. Those dip****s:D . They only have the flimsy handle at the top huh? No indented side handles? See, my hartke b120 combo has wheels AND side handles which makes it really pain free to lift for people who can lift 75 pounds. I'd just find it a pain in the ass if it only had a handle on the top, and the 15's are the same, if not a tad bit bulkier than my hartke combo.