Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Practice amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 24, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm looking for a nice small combo amp for my living room. I want to spend around $300 or less. I had a fender 20W (i forget the model #)...it was ok. I have a gorilla 40W now that i got for $30...which is complete garbage.

I want something that has really great tone, EQ, passive/active inputs, and a decent amout of power. My full rig is a Trace Elliot gP7sm250 w/ genz benz cabs (1-2x10, 1-1x15). Something that comes close to my live sound, but less power would be nice.

Any recomendations?

Or am i better off getting a small cabinet and running my Trace through it?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have yet to see a practice amp that has either dual inputs or a pad.

I use the Peavey Microbass III. It's 30 Watt, SS.. runs around $150. It's a decent l'il amp and I've run my 5-string through it without problems. it has a 3-band tone control, but no real EQ.

If you are trying to capture your live sound, I'd just stick with your normal amp and run a smaller cab, or one of your cabs and an attenuator.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I had an Ampeg B100R and at 100 watts it was perfect for the living room. Nice tone too. ;)

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    (Stupid question) what exactly is an attenuator?

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    They essentially act as a dummy load on your amp.

You could hook your 2x10 and an attenuator up, and it should have the tone, grit, warmth, whatever of your rig when live, but without all of the volume.

Depending on the impedance and handling of your amp, and of the attenuator, you might be able to get a 1x12 or 1x10, and get a fairly decent approximation of your live sound.

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hmm...very interesting. I think i will look into that, are they expensive?

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anyone have any experience with these? The electric blue series looks pretty nice.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Since you want to spend no more than $300, I'd go with Carvin PB100-10 or -15. I have the 10" version, which sounds great and now goes for only $240. I think the tone, EQ section, and flexible speaker connectivity are great. It's more vintage than hi-fi in my view, but there's lots of tonal range with the EQ.

It doesn't have a separate active input or pad, but apparently adjusts to high output basses internally.

For a living room amp, or even mellow rehearsals and gigs, it's great. I thought it might do more than that, but one can only expect so much from 100 watts through a single 10" driver.

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I like SWR 's L.A series of practice amps ,they have an LA10 which is around $200 and is 35 watts and it looks bad ass :bassist:

10. I have one of these, and while it doesn't sound as good as my Ampeg B100R, it has a decent, modern tone and will go loud enough to jam with acoustic guitars played with gusto. Basically, the LA series are priced like this:

35 watts into 1x10 = $199
    60 watts into 1x12 = $249
    100 watts into 1x15 = $299

The main reason I bought the smallest one was the weight consideration. 33lbs is a lot easier to move around than 50 or 65lbs.

My philosophy: Don't spend too much on a practice amp, because it's just for practice.

Mike

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yorkville xm200. I have one, it kicks barrells of ass. It has awesome tone, and can easily stand up to a Marshall Stack, without turning the knob past 4.

Graeme

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oops, sorry. It only had one cab... a halfstack I guess. At a gig last Saturday, my guitarist asked another guitarist from a different band if he could use his Marshall (he usually uses a 100 watt combo). So it was my drummer, my guitarist with a halfstack and me with my xm200. We play pretty loud but I was able to be heard. I was very impressed with my Yorkville.

Graeme

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I love my XM200C. I'll bet it would hang even better if you were to add a 4 ohm extension cab to it. :hyper:

But it is pretty loud even into it's internal speaker. I agree with the other assesments; it's a very loud 200 watts :)

14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Actually the Yorkville does not reach 200 watts until you add and extension speaker to it. With just the internal speaker you get around 130. I have one and can only use it for lessons, small gigs, or practice. If I play out with it she gets pushed rather hard. Somewhere around 6 to 7 on the volume.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Yorkville is very loud, yes. It can hang with a Marshall half stack, as long as you don't use the scoop control. The mids are key to keeping up & cutting through. Otherwise, it won't stand a chance.

That's the newer series right? I had an older LA-15 and it was total garbage. I hope SWR's improved the line.

16. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Unless you also have your band in your living room with you, or your living room is the size of a tennis court, you arent going to need more than 20 watts.

Get a Peavey Microbass. For the cost of a pair of decent slippers. It'll rattle ya windows ok.

17. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The Microbass also won't double as furniture!

18. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    :bag: I've had one of these for a couple of years now. They run about $275 new. 120W into an 10" aluminum driver. It has active/passive inputs, four-band EQ, RCA phono inputs for a CD/mp3 player, and headphones out. I know a lot of people here aren't too fond of Behringer for a variety of reasons, but for my purposes, this is a killer amp for practice and rehearsals. Just my $.02. YMMV.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    peavey amps have a pad... even the microbass... i know for a fact that the basic 112 has one.

20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Makes a nice beer table . Can hold a 6 pack